North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 2 dozen full bodies 2 dozen shells and 3 dozen floater ducks. I am looking to get some more decoys but I dont know what to get. I target ducks mostly but have no problem shooting geese if they come into the spread. I hunt fields. I dont want to spend as little as possible but I will pay to get quality decoys. I guess what im asking is what style (ducks, geese, floater, shells, full bodies), not brand, of decoys would be best for my situation?

·
Registered
746 Posts
you do not need duck full bodies or duck decoys at all if your hunting fields. ducks will land with geese. Do you have a mojo? put one of those in with your fb geese and your good to go

·
Registered
746 Posts
im just saying it doesnt pay to buy any duck decoys if you have mojos. buy some more geese instead. if you have the money, get fbs. if not get some shells to put around the blinds and spread out your fbs a little more

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
Get some Realgeese goose decoys. They add visablity and are decent as far as price goes and they take up little room. Oh yeah they kill a couple birds. :wink:

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Well, from my point of view, ducks late season are getting more and more shy of goose spreads even with a spinner. We have had our best luck setting duck decoys away from the goose decoys when targeting ducks only especially in bean fields.

What I might do is look at the silos as stated but make sure you buy the non reflective type if you plan on using them on sunny days. One group of guys we ran into where using the very large Magnum Mallard decoys that are intended for water. They had a removable keel and they put them in the field on stakes. They where place in and around their blinds!

I am not sure of the brand, but they where the size of a lesser full body. Using a hole saw they drilled into the bottom of the decoy and then put a hole in the top for motion stakes. They looked pretty good from a distance and stood out very well! I watched a number of high flocks of ducks drop into that spread with no geese and fly over other spreads with large spreads of goose decoys!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
WingedShooter7 said:
If you want some field duck decoys you could get some shells, they look like FB's but are cheaper, and have motion. You said you don't want brands but the kind I'm refereeing to is the GHG shells.
i was looking at those duck shells. you would probably know, are they about the same size as the full bodies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts