·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Event bars Fargo teacher
Dale Wetzel , Associated Press
Published Monday, November 03, 2008
· advertisement ·

BISMARCK - North Dakota's new Teacher of the Year was barred from a reception held to honor top teachers because she declined to join the North Dakota Education Association, education officials said. One denounced the move as "hurtful and vindictive."

Beth Ekre, a sixth-grade teacher at Carl Ben Eielson Middle School in Fargo, showed up for the Oct. 23 "Celebration of Excellence" social at a Fargo hotel, hours after her selection as North Dakota's Teacher of the Year was announced at an NDEA instructional conference.

The event was intended to honor award-winning teachers, including the new teacher of the year and the North Dakota winner of the Milken Educator Award, officials said.

Ekre said Dakota Draper, the NDEA's president, and Linda Harsche, a public relations staffer, met her at the door and told her she could not attend because it was limited to association members.

"It was a humiliating experience," Ekre said. "It's one of the most uncomfortable situations I've ever been in."

Ekre

Draper confirmed the account, saying Ekre was told in September that the NDEA was paying for the reception and that only members could take part. He briefed her in mid-September about NDEA membership benefits as part of a pitch to have her join the association, Draper said.

Ekre said she did not remember being told of the reception because, at the time, she didn't know she would be getting the award. She said she found out about the event later, when she was searching the Web for information about when the Teacher of the Year award was being presented.

Jon Martinson, director of the North Dakota School Boards Association, recounted the story in a letter to state Sen. Layton Freborg, R-Underwood, who is chairman of the Senate Education Committee.

In the letter, Martinson appealed to Freborg to introduce legislation to "remove the NDEA from playing any role whatsoever in North Dakota's Teacher of the Year program."

Martinson said he was "highly offended by the hurtful and vindictive treatment of this outstanding educator by the NDEA, an organization that demonstrated bias, prejudice and discrimination towards a nonmember."

He also accused Draper and Mark Berntson, the association's vice president, of pressuring Ekre to join the NDEA after the four Teacher of the Year finalists were interviewed in Bismarck in August.

Draper said he and Berntson met with Ekre separately to ask her to join the association, which Draper estimated would cost Ekre about $500 annually. Ekre said she was not pressured and described her meetings with Draper and Berntson as "very gracious, very cordial."

Ekre, who has been a teacher for 16 years, said she joined the association when she first began teaching but dropped out because she regards the NDEA's parent organization, the National Education Association, as too politically liberal.

NDEA members automatically are members of the NEA and provide support to the national organization. Ekre said she asked if she could opt out of NEA membership, but Draper said that option was not available.

Wayne Sanstead, North Dakota's superintendent of public instruction, said he was "greatly distressed" by news of Ekre's treatment.

Normally, the NDEA pays travel expenses for the North Dakota Teacher of the Year to attend national events for state honorees. The association will not pay Ekre's expenses, but Sanstead said the Department of Public Instruction would do so.

"It is the North Dakota Teacher of the Year, not the NDEA Teacher of the Year," Sanstead said.

Max Laird, who is opposing Sanstead's bid for a seventh term as superintendent, said the program is worthy of taxpayer support. Laird, a former NDEA president, said the organization helps coordinate the teacher program because the Department of Public Instruction does not have money to do so.

"It seems to me we ought to have a program to honor the North Dakota Teacher of the Year that is open, appropriate and sustainable, and it's in a place where everyone can sit back and admire the person that wins, regardless of where the financial support is coming from," Laird said.

The award is a project of the Council of Chief State School Officers in Washington, of which Sanstead is a member.

The four finalists for the national award will be announced in mid-January, said Jon Quam, the program's director. The national Teacher of the Year will be announced in late April, he said.

Freborg called the incident "a real low blow."

"It certainly doesn't speak highly of the people who are in control of that organization," Freborg said. "I just cannot believe that they would stoop to something like that, and I'm sure that the membership, most of them, don't even know about it."

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ekre, who has been a teacher for 16 years, said she joined the association when she first began teaching but dropped out because she regards the NDEA's parent organization, the National Education Association, as too politically liberal.
You got to love those unions in this country, NEA and NDEA have dropped $400,000 in opposition to measure one. I can't think of any better reason to vote yes for it after this.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Good post g/o. What a pile of scum. I hope they are replaced for this.

I thought that liberals were the tolerant ones. :wink:

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
teachers organizations are the least tolerant organizations in the country

my wife is heavyily invovled with our school board, she says I can't come to the meetings :lol:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Longshot:

So longshot, do you think the same of the guy who got fired from Cooper Arms? Is the board for Cooper Arms just a bunch of scum and should be replaced?

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
Longshot said:

I thought that liberals were the tolerant ones. :wink:
Pile of scum.Only the uninformed call people names when they don't have a clue ......Do you know anything about NDEA besides your bias.???

That event was sponsored by NDEA.Why would they let NON-MEMBERS in the door????Do you know a closed group that lets non-members participate?That's why members pay dues.

That article doesn't say who picked her.Or were there any other non-members present.You couldn't get in the door either.

Since she clearly said NDEA DID NOT PRESSURE her to join.....maybe Martinson should have talked to her first instead of typically shooting his mouth off.

This was a CLOSED social gathering to honor award winning NDEA MEMBERS.She wasn't a member.She was told she could not participate if she didn't belong.Selective memory is always a good excuse.Maybe the writer of this should have gotten facts straight first.. :eyeroll:

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Wayne Sanstead, North Dakota's superintendent of public instruction, said he was "greatly distressed" by news of Ekre's treatment.
"It is the North Dakota Teacher of the Year, not the NDEA Teacher of the Year," Sanstead said.
Scum was the word for their actions and treatment of a person who is obviously doing a great job. What part of "This is not the NDEA Teacher of the Year Award" do you not understand? If they do not sponsor this Award, but do hand it out, it should not make a difference if they are a member or not. If it's NDEA's responsibility to present this award, the person should not HAVE to be a member. They were doing nothing but trying to force her to rejoin. Where is the tolerance Ken. If they don't like it, then they should have nothing to do with the North Dakota Teacher of the Year award at all. I guess maybe you have been indoctrinated for too long by the NDEA.

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
i understand just fine.She wan't chosen teacher of the year by NDEA alone.

So what part of ....THIS WAS A SOCIAL EVENT FOR NDEA MEMBERS don't YOU understand?And what part of.....we asked you to join and you chose not to,therefore you cannot attend don't you understand?Your total bias against teachers clearly shows here also. :eyeroll:

She wasn't the only member being honored at that social.All others there were members as they should be if they wish to attend.

Oh and I could care less what Sanstead thinks.Time to put that boy out to pasture.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Ken I have no problem with teachers and especially those in ND. Education was one of the big reasons we moved back here to ND when we had kids. If this event is where the award is to be presented it should make no difference who is a member. Apparently other teachers and those involved and quoted in the article were not happy with her treatment either. Don't try to make this a "Longshot hates teachers" BS, this is an I don't like how someone was treated post and the usual intolerance.

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
Show me where it says the award would be presented at that social.It does not sat that anywhere does it?This is what it says....."The event was intended to honor award-winning teachers."Plural.So she wasn't the only one being honored.No mention of presenting the award.

Once again it was a social to honor award winning members.Not present them with awards.So why would they allow non-members in????The only non-members I could see being there are spouses of the winners.

I guess what riles me about your post here is calling several thousand teachers a pile of scum.Since by using the word pile you are including all NDEA members in your statement even if you did not intend to.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Complaining that your union is "liberal" is like complaining that the NRA is too "conservative"... Seriously, they represent what they represent, and if they happen to agree with one party it's not because they like that party, it's because that party agrees with them.

Next time she signs a contract, I hope they take away her prep time, make her work over lunch, make her stay late every day, and make her come in over her breaks... the types of things that the teachers' union prevents from happening. If some parent calls for her head for no reason, I hope the administration hands it to them! It's easy enough to do... There are a lot of teachers without jobs in the area.

You guys should understand... as much complaining as you all do about somebody getting a free ride.

There are a lot of people drinking the union hater-ade... If it's a union event, it's up to them to decide who to let in.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
Ken I think you have a reading comprehension problem. Reread my first post. I stated that I hope they are replaced (the pile of scum) being those who declined her entrance.

The event was intended to honor award-winning teachers, including the new teacher of the year and the North Dakota winner of the Milken Educator Award, officials said.
Martinson appealed to Freborg to introduce legislation to "remove the NDEA from playing any role whatsoever in North Dakota's Teacher of the Year program."
Martinson said he was "highly offended by the hurtful and vindictive treatment of this outstanding educator by the NDEA, an organization that demonstrated bias, prejudice and discrimination towards a nonmember."
She said she found out about the event later, when she was searching the Web for information about when the Teacher of the Year award was being presented.
It doesn't look like I am the only one who thinks lowly of those in control of the organization.

"It certainly doesn't speak highly of the people who are in control of that organization," Freborg said. "I just cannot believe that they would stoop to something like that, and I'm sure that the membership, most of them, don't even know about it."
Maybe you are so defensive because you know someone involved? I'm not disappointed with any teacher, but an action by a few.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
omegax said:
Next time she signs a contract, I hope they take away her prep time, make her work over lunch, make her stay late every day, and make her come in over her breaks... the types of things that the teachers' union prevents from happening. If some parent calls for her head for no reason, I hope the administration hands it to them! It's easy enough to do... There are a lot of teachers without jobs in the area.
So you would like to see an apparently very good teacher gone because she is not part of NDEA. I thought we all wanted the best teachers teaching our kids. Poor post omegax, political affiliation is more important to you then competence. :eyeroll:

·
Registered
637 Posts
That's not even remotely what I'm saying. I was exaggerating to make the point that there's a lot more to the teachers' union than who they endorse. I'm saying she's either foolish or selfish, and she's reaping the benefits that others are paying for.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Omegax, I don't think she became teacher of the year because she was a poor teacher.

Ken W, I see you were quick to attack Martinson and not Sandstead. You got to love biased people. :lol:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Right... teachers' unions put this kook up to this (the link Bob posted). They're hoping everybody turns gay so they'll have smaller class sizes?

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
omegax said:
Right... teachers' unions put this kook up to this (the link Bob posted). They're hoping everybody turns gay so they'll have smaller class sizes?
What a poor way to dismiss a political agenda where it does not belong.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Longshot said:
What a poor way to dismiss a political agenda where it does not belong.
I'm going to read it one more time to make sure it still doesn't say anything about teachers' unions... still no. It doesn't even say that the union is standing behind the teacher. It doesn't so much as mention the union. You're darn right I dismissed it. The agenda was the TEACHER'S and nobody else's. Here, I thought somebody might get a chuckle out of the class size line...

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
omegax said:
They're hoping everybody turns gay so they'll have smaller class sizes?
Actually it did make me laugh.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts