North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
358 Posts
Migration report, if your a puddle hunter I saw no indications of how that would be fun right now, all the birds got froze out and moved to big water (roosts). The birds are concentrated either your on em or not. If your coming to DL chances are you wont be, I drove around last night 3 of the 4 best fields in my usual haunts were already locked up, after I drove around the 4th one was. In my roughly 2 hour scout I saw 4 huntable flocks of snow geese, two less than monday night. I don't think the snows have figured out soybeans yet and thats where all the good food is right now so I think more have moved out than have moved in during this week. If you think the sky is going to be black in ND in the DL area with snows you'll be dissapointed there's about 1/5th of the snows we had last year at its peak.

· Registered
1,206 Posts
I was over in DL last weekend and there were some geese, but hardly any big numbers of ducks. I agree with WS the numbers will only go up if some corn comes down and as far as I heard up to yesterday if any does come down it won't be much. and as far as 1/5 the birds, I would agree with that.

· Registered
414 Posts
Crazy weather and fall this year :eyeroll: Have friends that pushed their trip to SK back to this week,Quill Lake is loaded with white geese and the huge flights of mallards are just showing up.

I'm on the fence when to take a run to SoDak,Sand Lake refuge claims #'s are building slowly,mostly with snows and swan's 135k as of the 29th.

· Registered
82 Posts
Was in Sask last week and left the day of the big NW wind so I'm sure its changed some. Last week there were a lot of mallards just starting to roost up on bigger water, earlier in the week if was scattered flocks on just about any pothole you saw, small or large. Regarding geese, lots of family groups scattered as well, no large concentrations where we were. Snows were minimal at best where we were, and it wasn't the Quills...........I'd say the best is yet to come although up that way there is a warm up coming next week and then a cool down by weeks end.........lots of birds yet to come.

My .02

· Registered
652 Posts
North Central NoDak... some snows around... but very very few ducks. We are in the lull... there are some but very few and concentrated to small areas.

Some divers in the area mostly scaup, buffalo heads and some redheads but very few. Need some weather up north and then a warm-up. Earlier in the week most of the water was frozen but it has opened back up.

· Registered
338 Posts
The birds are concentrated either your on em or not
This is what I have seen in central ND. and when you do find the concentrations there is a lot of pressure because there are so few spots where they are stacked up. People are hunting the big roosts around here and making the birds move out before they can get a good pattern down. This warm spell opened things up but there are a lot of empty sloughs. Snows are scattered at best and are switching from field to field looking for a good feed. Absolutely no harvested corn in the area. Rain came at the wrong time so the corn didn't get a good start. Moisture content is to high and cost of propane too much to dry it. Probably wont harvest any before things freeze up. I think a lot of birds are going to pass us up this year.

· Registered
1,124 Posts
huntinND has the problem nailed. It froze the birds moved to the larger roosts and then the roosts were pounded.Many birds would have moved south because of the ice but not everything. Yesterday I covered many miles in s central and there is very little waterfowl.

· Registered
5 Posts
Just left the great State of N.D. Arrived from MIchigan last Sunday in the big wind. North central part of the State. Found ducks Monday feeding in the fields. Did great Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Snows and ducks flying every where.
Thursday with the warm weather coming in every thing was gone.
Very few birds in the air.
We had three great days! On our way home now. Can't wait till next year!

· Registered
2,850 Posts
N of DL ducks seem to be pretty slim right now. Burned a full tank of gas Thursday and don't think I saw more than 1/2 dozen ducks. Have not had a duck buzz the goose spread in at least 2 and maybe 3 weeks. Geese are pretty abundant but I have not seen the same field used 2 consecutive days except maybe Canadas. Corn is just starting to come off but the geese are not in it yet and many of the field the geese had been in are being tilled for a second time.

· Registered
1,064 Posts
We hunted Thursday - Sunday in the central part of the state. No mallards around. Poorest hunting we have ever had in ND, in fact we left a day early. Hot, no wind, no clouds. Lots of snows but of course the roost was jumped each morning. If you want to shoot divers they are around in good numbers. Roosters and grouse saved the trip.

· Registered
2 Posts
just got back from NoDak this past Tuesday. We did a lot of driving/scouting, but eventually found a lot of birds...when we left all the little stuff hadn't frozen yet so every little pothole held birds, they were spread out. We were close to the SD border...each time we crossed over for a look we ran across a bagillion ducks (that's our measure of the huge mallard swarms that swirl in the distance). The birds KNOW where they WON'T be shot at...it's like a flippin' refuge in northern SD!!!
Heading back up next Wednesday...is it true they got 30 inches of snow in Minot?
I've never seen so many ducks in flooded beans, but I suppose that's because there's so much corn up still. Is the little stuff freezing up?

· Registered
96 Posts
We got lots of snow by Devils Lake, north to Rock Lake and south for a while. We have lots of froze stuff and most should freeze by Sunday morning. They have not got this in Canada and we have not seen any migration except snow geese. There are divers here but puddle ducks flew straight through today. Hope the rest wait a week until it warms some but a very poor migration on all accounts even from the USFWS.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.