North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This colt was found in the wrong pen last Wednesday morning. Gashes on the left side of the neck, scrapes on the right side of the neck. Scrapes down the left side.

My immediate gut reaction tells me this is definitely a cat. Their dog wouldn't quit barking most of the night (Tuesday) and it is not a barker. Their indoor/outdoor cat wouldn't go outside either.

It took Game and Fish 5 days to respond to the owner's inquiry. Of course, G&F's position was that it was wire.

They also took the pictures to a reputable vet in the area, the vet immediately said that she believed it was a cat attack.

I am not of the camp that believes all the BS stories about G&F hauling these things in from the Western part of the state, but they are NOT handling these claims the right way. People are starting to not tell G&F of their sightings/encounter because they are treated like someone reporting a UFO.

I guess, maybe it's another juniper bush attack where the horse just keeps backing in to it for fun....

Here are just a couple pics (the purple coloring is just a spray they put on the colt to help with healing.)

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Again, what do you want the GNF to do? So what if it is a lion, will it make you feel better if they say it is a lion attack?

I guess I just don't understand what you want them to do about it. There is a hunting season for them, why don't you kill the cat yourself?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like I said in my original post:

but they are NOT handling these claims the right way.
What i want is for G&F to quit treating people the way they do when they call something in. Until you've called one of these types of calls in yourself you will not know how they are treated.

I don't want G&F to call everything an attack - especially when they are not, but, they don't need to be a$$es about it.

Anyone can look at those pictures and think cat - especially when there NO wire laying around or around the horse that could've cause what they are saying is a wire injury. Even if it wasn't a cat, these people, along with others who have called in very likely cat attacks are treated like they are FREAKS!

And YES! If it was a lion, it would make feel a helluva lot better that they'd be able to A) identify one and B) to put to rest the conspiracy theories.

Did I say I wanted them to kill it? Yes, I would love to have a chance at one, just like 90% of the guys on this site would.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Why even call it in? Why do you need someone from GNF to tell you what happened to your horse? :huh:

If you think it was a cat then start hunting. :sniper:

Maybe it was aliens, I think you can kill them too, have at it! :lol:

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
To be clear...

Lvn2Hunt are you looking for compensation from them? Or are you simply looking for them to say "OK thanks. We'll fill out a report noting the attack occurred."

If they did simply say, tell us the name, time and location.... would that be sufficient?

I think everyone agrees in all of North Dakota that there are 20-40 cats running around at any given moment.

Are you looking for more? I guess I'm confused too...

Thanks! :)

Ryan

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
R y a n said:
To be clear...

Lvn2Hunt are you looking for compensation from them? Or are you simply looking for them to say "OK thanks. We'll fill out a report noting the attack occurred."

If they did simply say, tell us the name, time and location.... would that be sufficient?

I think everyone agrees in all of North Dakota that there are 20-40 cats running around at any given moment.

Are you looking for more? I guess I'm confused too...

Thanks! :)

Ryan
R Y A N

I am guessing it is more like 200-400 cats!

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
hunt4P&Y said:
R Y A N

I am guessing it is more like 200-400 cats!
I think they announced some likely continuous population estimate at one time. I can't remember what it was?

I don't think it was near as high as 200. We'd be having dozens more reports every week from livestock raids...

Anyone?

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
It would be interesting to see the numbers, but then again..... how would they come up with them? ND is a big state and they have been seen all over the place! I think it is just a matter of time before we are shooting several cats per week.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess it's difficult for anyone who hasn't called the events in to understand what I'm getting at, let me try a different way.....

You are a landowner and you believe someone has trespassed and may have or may have not taken game off of your land. You call the Game and Fish and/or the sheriff, whatever your choice.

You call and tell them what happened and without coming out to take a look at any damage or asking any questions, they laugh at you and say, "Nope, couldn't have been a trespasser because they never do this or they always do that." "Definitely not someone, probably just the wind cause that's what the wind does."

How mad would that make you? I would at least expect them to follow up with an investigation or something.... Heck, is asking a few questions out of the question?

While I understand there is not enough time or money to track down every single claim - I'd guess they are getting that many. But, they are always saying that so much is unknown about these cats and that's one of the most important things with the hunting season is to learn about them from necropsy's, etc. Well, if so much is unknown, then how can they write off an attack if they don't explore it? And what if things they could be learning are going unlearned because they aren't following up on any of the claims?

When you are having livestock and pets - as these horses are - being attacked or chased around by these animals you will realize how heart breaking it is. I have had 5 4-Hers whose horses we KNOW were attacked by lions, not 1 has the G&F followed up on.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
I agree it would really make me mad.

I think if you take the time to call in they should at least just be upfront and say, well it may have been, but we don't have the man power right now to come out and check... I would much rather hear that then being called stupid... in a sense over the phone.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Lvn2Hnt said:
If you call out to report a cat to G&F, they make it seem like it's more like 2-4 and they are all out west. Not in Bismarck or the surrounding areas.
I agree. Talked the the warden two weekends ago while out west, he asked why I had my pistol with bowhunting. I said so I can kill a cat, and for protection. He goes. AHhh there isn't any cats around, you shoulden't carry that. I replyed I am going to carry it, I have had cat tracks over mine in the mud. Not a good feeling.

I later got him to admit that there was a fair share of sightings in that area.

I would not be suprised if we had a cat strole into Fargo. They are here. Just a matter of time.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
Lvn2Hnt said:
If you call out to report a cat to G&F, they make it seem like it's more like 2-4 and they are all out west. Not in Bismarck or the surrounding areas.
So you simply want them to acknowledge that there are cats in the Bismarck area.

I think they have acknowledged it.

But what next? I personally don't believe they have any investigative curiousity to run out to every call. An attack is an attack.

In the beginning I think they wanted to see if they were from cats, because North Dakota had 0 cats to everyone's knowledge.

It is a much different world now. Everyone acknowledges their existence. No more proof is needed. point taken.

So now what is next?

I think the issue is being beaten to death and drug thru the ringer.... noone is surprised anymore by another cat attack.

Correct? Is anyone surprised anymore? Why the need to investigate? North Dakota has a healthy reproducing number of cats. Some of them are even collared to follow whilst alive. Documenting attacks doesn't serve any further purpose except to note the time and location.

or so it seems to me? :huh:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The more and more people I talk to the more that people are saying that wardens are tying to make it seems as though there aren't as many cats out there as there really are.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Lvn2Hnt said:
The more and more people I talk to the more that people are saying that wardens are tying to make it seems as though there aren't as many cats out there as there really are.
I agree, but I think that is because they are getting heat on this issue. I don't think it was anything they did.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
HUNTNFISHND said:
Maybe it was aliens, I think you can kill them too, have at it! :lol:
That is only out by Steel I think and you have to get a permit too...or a fat pig staked out in the middle of the field...something like that anyways... :D

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
R Y A N, no, i guess I don't agree with you on a couple points and I think you've missed mine. But that's fine....

So, just because there are known burglaries, trespassers, vandals, etc out there, we should not call those in to the respective authorities.

What about all of the farmers that call about crop depredation due to wildlife - are they supposed to be ignored too. They're not.

And no, I don't agree that everyone realizes there are lions in there area. I have yet to hear any of the wardens around this area admit to any lion any further east than New Salem.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Lvn2Hnt said:
R Y A N, no, i guess I don't agree with you on a couple points and I think you've missed mine. But that's fine....

So, just because there are known burglaries, trespassers, vandals, etc out there, we should not call those in to the respective authorities.

What about all of the farmers that call about crop depredation due to wildlife - are they supposed to be ignored too. They're not.

And no, I don't agree that everyone realizes there are lions in there area. I have yet to hear any of the wardens around this area admit to any lion any further east than New Salem.
There is one on a Dash Cam East of Grand Forks...

If you see it you can shoot it. The only reason you have to call for Depridation is to get a permit to kill them, unless you see something doing it then :sniper: , but a cat is in season, so there is no need for there permission.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hunt4P&Y > as I said: "In this area" not East of Grand Forks.

And you have all missed my point totally. :eyeroll: Wow, tough crowd around here today. And I know from past threads that it's only going to get worse.... I guess, bring it on, I'll keep defending my position on this. Was just posting up a few pictures to draw your own conclusions. Talk about a completely unintended change of direction on a thread.

I can definitely tell that none of you that have responded has cattle or horses.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For those who are asking why to even call in a sighting (other than it may prevent another attack or injury):

From the Game and Fish web site:
REPORT LION ENCOUNTERS
To report a sighting, an encounter or an attack, contact one of the North Dakota Game and Fish offices listed below. For after-hours emergencies, contact your local sheriff's department or state radio at 800-472-2121.

* Bismarck: 100 N. Bismarck Expressway, Bismarck, ND 58501 - 701 328-6300.
* Devils Lake: 7928 45th St. NE, Devils Lake, ND 58301- (701) 662-3617.
* Dickinson: 225 30th Ave. SW. Dickinson, ND 58601 - (701) 227-7431.
* Lonetree (Harvey) WMA: 1851 23rd Ave. NE, Harvey, ND 58341 - (701) 324-2211.
* Riverdale: 406 Dakota Ave.. Riverdale, ND 58565 - (701) 654-7475.
* Jamestown: 3320 E Lakeside Rd., Jamestown, ND 58402 - (701) 253-6480.
* Williston: 13932 W. Front St., Williston, ND 58801 - (701) 774-4320.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts