North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been hunting in North Dakota several times with my hunting buddy labrador retriever. It seems every year her feet get ripped up and soar. Anybody have any tips or advice what to do. Doggy boots, or what really works?
Can she swim if I get her to even wear the dog boots ?
Thanks

Last year my brother in laws dogs web between the toes actually toar.
My dog went lame one day.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You can try using some Tuff Pad liquid ahead of the season, seems to help some. With dog boots, the only ones I have had success with were from Cabelas with nylon feet and 6" or so neoprene uppers with two buckles. All of the others I have tried either fell off, broke or tore up. They can swim with the boots on. If you use boots, check them often to make sure they are not slipping off, they seem to take frequent adjustments.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Don't put boots on your dog to swim. Labs have webbing that helps them alot. Plus the boots will fill with water. Like you swimming with rubber boots on. Bad idea.

Figure out what tears up their paws - it ain't the water. Doubt its anything under the water as that's typically just mud. Doubt its cattails. Something else?

For upland like the rubber boots made somewhere in OK? Use vented for summer - non-vented for snow. If you see them you'll see where you should trim the back side top down about an inch. Use vet wrap oround the ankle before putting the boot on and securing with white tape or duct tape. Practice with them well before hunting - the dog will hate them and walk like they are in goo - lifting their legs up high. Hillarious to watch. Throw a bumber or two and they magically forget about the boots.

M.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts