North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GUYS.....I would like to set up 3 or 4 dog runs ( pens ) were the dog crap falls through the bottom of the floor and i don't have to shovel it up every day. put some kind of grates or fence on the floor for dogs to walk on and crap will fall through. kind of like a miniature hog confinement house set up. has any one every tried something like this or have any thoughts on how i can set it up. maybe i could put a concrete floor under grates and a flush system were crap would go down a drain. thanks. Marty

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I'd really like to rip into you for comparing a housing location for dogs to that of something for rabbits or chickens but will leave you with this... take care of the dogs and don't treat them like livestock. Dogs need to be aired and allowed to stretch their legs multiple times per day. If you build a multiple run kennel set up, make sure you check with the zoning of the area as some locations more than 2 dogs and you're identified as a kennel operation. When you pour the concrete, slope it to the door of the run and pour a trench that allows the water and waste spray to run into a small drain field.

·
Registered
92 Posts
no were in the post does it say that the dogs are treated like live stock. Just comparing the type of waste removeal set up with a livestock set up. AS USUAL WE HAVE A GUY HERE ON THE FORUM THAT LIKES TO HEAR HIMSELF TALK OR SHOULD I SAY TYPE..... COONMAN/MARTY

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Hey richard. Why in the world would you defend someone for wanting to make their dogs walk on top of fencing like a rabbit hutch just because they don't want to shovel poop. Enough said

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I am with Chaws on this one. I can't picture any possible scenario where a dog would be comfortable walking on fencing that their poop would fall through. If someone put my dog in a kennel like that...let's just say I wouldn't be happy.

·
Registered
92 Posts
It only takes the right set up. thats the question i am asking. what would work, not what would not work. I raised silver fox and mink for 20 years and it worked with no problem, trying to figure out the septic system to use for the dog pen. I had a neigbor that raised dozens of beagles for rabbit hunting, 1 x 1 wire work great for him, 8 foot high chain link fence on the sides . marty

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
It's simply the amount of damage a grate could do to their pads. Some people also suggest against having rough brushed or even medium brushed concrete in kennel runs because it tears their pads up. It would take pretty big holes to have your feet fall through, but would you like to walk/lay on it all day?

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
tumblebuck said:
Picking up crap comes with the territory.
I understand what you are asking. You are asking what would work. People are responding that it isn't a good idea to do it and for various reasons..while I agree 100% with them...you could look at their responses as nothing would work that is ethical in the mind of a person with true feelings for a true hunting friend and not just a dog.

Just my .02

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Like I had mentioned in my first post. Pour a slab and slope it towards a concrete type run off area that slopes into a pea gravel field. That way you can scoop the poop and spray it out and then either let it drain off or squeegee into the the run off area. Done deal and should work well until your neighbors complain about the stink.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
coonman said:
i guess you need to be a mind reader here. just because some one has not come up with a idea does not mean there is not a good idea out there. marty
Wow. Guess it was a complete waste of time to try and 'talk' to you.

Have a good day sir.

·
Registered
92 Posts
like i said before... looking for ideas on what would work, not comments regarding the idea.... thats the problem with alot of people on the sight. They give there opinon on a subject not the question that was ask.... Chaws did a gret job with his last post, gave his idea , that is great not like the his 1st post. I think were back on track. marty

·
Registered
228 Posts
coonman said:
I think were back on track.
On track for your construction design of your puppy mill?

Dogs are not like any of the animals that you have listed to compare your idea with. The idea to directly put them over anything but a solid ground should not be discussed. If the dogs are properly cared for, the need to build something like this is not warrented. Dogs need attention just like we do and if we neglect them of that to save us some work, shame on us...

Just my $.02

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Chaws... YOUR 1ST POST STARTED WITH " WOULD REALLY LIKE TO RIP INTO " FOR WHAT TRYING TO SEE IF ANYONE HAD A IDEA ON A TYPE OF DOG PEN THAT WOULD HAVE SOME KIND OF WAY TO DISPOSE THE WASTE ? YOU STILL DONT GET IT AFTER ALL THESE POST ? MARTY

1 - 20 of 34 Posts