North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting my first dog, a black lab pointer puppy (female), this weekend. ive been trying to decide on a name. I like the name lady but my friend named his dog that. i like the name Dakota also. anyone have any suggestions on dog names? im pumped to get my puppy this weekend! :D

· Registered
5,009 Posts
Jake,

Exciting as all heck isn't it? Glad to hear it for you!

This has been discussed here a few times. Use the search function on the home page and you can find a few threads about this.

I wish you the best and make sure you keep us posted with the name and pictures!!!!!!

· Registered
70 Posts
Keep the call name simple....... My favorite females call name is "L"

Registered at K-CEE"S L SERIES ALBANY GIRL

One syllable call names work well with my beagles

· Registered
2,760 Posts
Keep away from call names that have a close resemblance to words such as:
Sit
Here
Come
No
Back
Fetch
Over

I like to use two syllable names because they're quite different than most of the one syllable commands.

Maybe some ideas would be...
Sally
Trigger
Missy
Dreamer
Pink

It could go on and on.

· Registered
2,760 Posts
Actually there's a really nice dog with the call name Pink on the Derby circuit right now that seems to place every week and is the high point derby dog. Also heard another female call name of "Sexy" the other day and wasn't too sure about that one.

· Registered
5,180 Posts
Chaws said:
Actually there's a really nice dog with the call name Pink on the Derby circuit right now that seems to place every week and is the high point derby dog. Also heard another female call name of "Sexy" the other day and wasn't too sure about that one.

· Registered
1,387 Posts
Just don't get suckered in to naming it after one of the worst football teams.... mine are named Oakley (Oakland) and Raider. :oops:

But, if you want to travel down that road you could go with Kansas, Cinci, Lion, and the list goes on.... :lol:

But seriously, congrats - from here on out no dog will EVER compare to your first!

· Registered
136 Posts
My brother has a black lab/pointer named Maya. She is a CRAZY dog. she is very smart and has a lot of energy. not a ggod combination for his situation but she would be a great hunting dog if he had more time to work with her. good luck to you.

· Registered
106 Posts
I agree with Chaws. Some more suggestions would be=Sammy, Lucy, Codee,Brandy, Chessie,Alfie, something with 2 syllables.My boys have dogs with some of these names. If you hunt with other people, try to choose a name that is not similar sounding to their dogs names. : Just my :2cents: worth

· Registered
26 Posts
Think about the times you normally use your dogs name.. Like when its late at night and it wont come in and your standing on your back porch yelling its name. even though its funny in the feild your neighbor might not like it to much.

Good luck with your new best friend.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.