North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,387 Posts
We've had one of those for years and my neighbor also has one. We have 2 lab/chessie crosses and they have 2 labs and 2 GSPs. They are GREAT doors that take a beating - best that money can buy. My only word of caution (and maybe some guys have some advice on this) they are louder than heck!

When the dogs go in and out you can hear the doors slam together LOUD in the house - quite annoying if you're trying to sleep or get the kid to sleep.

We've tried putting various sound buffers on the door, but the dogs just chew it off....

· Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought one of these and installed it. Seems a little drafty though, is there any way to make it more weather tight? It has a bit of a gap between the top of the plexi glass and the aluminum frame, any way to adjust this?

Lvn, your right about the noise. It is pretty loud. I wonder if a guy could glue some cloth to the aluminum to deaden the sound a bit.

Also what is the best way to get the dog to use it? He don't seem too interested at all. I tried a toy and treats, but no go!

· Registered
360 Posts
with a food dish outside and not inside he will make the trek through the door eventually, once they go through on their own once you are set.

I put some 1/8" (I think it is for windows, comes in a bunch of sizes in 10' rolls) weather stripping on the ones I have owned, it isnt silent but much quieter, Carl will give you some good tips on how to deaden the sound. I think he told me to use a thin felt, I didnt try that, maybe should have, I was thinking that the softer side of velcrow (sp?) would work well and is thin enough to keep somewhat of a seal

Carl is a good guy and will gladly help with a phone call, I wont buy any other door.
good luck

· Registered
1,387 Posts
No matter what I've tried, my dogs won't leave it alone and within a few days, whatever padding and noise protection I attached to the door is gone. But, it's a small price to pay for how great the dog door is.

I never had a problem getting the dogs to go through, but I know others that have. We just shoved ours through a couple times and a lot of good boy good boy and they were good to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.