North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering because i have tried a few different things. One thing that i have found to work quite well is clams. I open them up with my knife and cut out the thin edge that i like to call the "lip", then i hook it on a gold spinnerbait with a small weight. Works very good, and when you reel it in semi-slow it looks very much like a long leech.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I'm afraid there is no secret bait. The only thing that's gonna catch you a lot of fish consistently throughout the year is your brain. You need to understand where the fish are holding, how willing they are to bite, and then what tactic you have to utilize to trigger them. When you figure out how to do it every time you let us know, we'll be working on the same :D

·
Registered
139 Posts
In my opinion a secret bait depends on the lake. What works in some places doesn't work in others. Secret baits are all due to confindence. Just because you catch them on your secret bait doesn't mean that I can do as well. for instance, in florida a red shad worm kicked butt in my favorite lake, when I used it a lake in California, not a bite. Each lake is different. Learn to be versitle and you will have success. A good bait to get good at is a pig and jig. Use a 1/4 oz jig of your choice. Match the color of the crawfish the best you can and use a strike king rage craw trailer. If you get good with the pig and jig, you will catch big fish. there is a reason that the pig and jig was the highest producer of bass on the B.A.S.S pro tournament trail.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Working off of what ileddog said, frogs over the really really thick stuff are money. If you're not afraid to throw a 9 dollar lure I'd recommend getting a couple Spro frogs. They're a lot heavier than a scum frog, so they cast much farther. Position your boat on the outside of whatever is growing out from the shore line and just pick the pockets towards the bank. The key is to work this thing SLOOOW. Patience is a necessity when frog fishing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts