North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
pheasants are color blind if I remember correctly

anyone?

Your friends are silly to worry about color spooking them. The noise they make and their movement will scare them long before the recognize the color they are wearing.

take care

·
Registered
744 Posts
Early in the season, I wear some blaze orange.....my hat and some orange on my vest. When there is snow on the ground and the birds a alot spookier, if I'm posting, I wear white. I've seen them flare from guys wearing camo or orange clothing.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I believe noise is a hunters biggest concern.

If you have have a chance find a spot where pheasants cross the road in the morning and evening and watch them react to vehicles, they can hear them from quite a distance and it is amazing how many people drive by not noticing the birds.

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
R y a n said:
pheasants are color blind if I remember correctly

anyone?

Your friends are silly to worry about color spooking them. The noise they make and their movement will scare them long before the recognize the color they are wearing.

take care
Birds see color perfectly, way better than we do, as a general rule if a animal has bright coloration it sees color and it uses color in the reproduction aspect of its life.

If you are hunting alone in area with no open big game seasons not wearing orange will make a big difference in your success pheasant hunting

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't think it makes as big a difference as some people think it does. Hunters noise is what seems to be the biggest fault from some of the groups that i've hunted with. I am sure most of you have hunted with a group of people that reminds you of a circus. Pickup doors slamming shut as hard as they can be, shotguns loading up for the first walk, then come the dogs 10 dogs for 10 people. I think the biggest clue for a pheasant is hearing all the whistles being blown. I would say a pheasant is more prone to run from whistles than from blaze orange. Don't get me wrong, I do like it when people walk tree rows right next to me in white bedsheets, I need a good laugh from time to time. I don't know how much difference that will make when the people and dogs start slogging through cover and when someone takes the first shot. From my experience the best thing you can do is try to corner them as best you can or get your nikes on and try running after them.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Why would a rooster have so much color if the hens couldn't see it?? That makes no sense, and I believe Bob is dead on.

I don't think wearing orange would matter to the guy walking, but to the guys blocking I think it does. Pheasants will flare and fly away from guys moving aroung at the end, and when I block (which isn't much) I try to hide the best I can. I never wear orange. But if I hunted with a large group, and or people I didn't know very well, I'd have to put some on, and maybe a lot if they were new to the outdoors/hunting.

·
Premium Member
3,978 Posts
Bobm said:
Birds see color perfectly, way better than we do, as a general rule if a animal has bright coloration it sees color and it uses color in the reproduction aspect of its life.
From what I have always learned is that animals such as birds and fish use coloration to help select a mate. The way I understood it was that the most common pattern is a colorful male of the species. The bright contrast and color means a healthy, strong gened individual. The female instinct is to mate with that male to have better offspring. Sexual selection is what our college biology prof called it. The female of the species is dull and blends to protect the young. The males instinct is just to spread his DNA. Just think about how many hens a rooster will have in his harem! It makes sense!

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Yes they do see color. Does it make a difference not wearing orange?...Late season maybe...Early season, I don't think it makes much of a difference. Noise is what gets them running a 100 yards in front of you, not the orange.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I'd rather go home empty handed than eat a face full of shot.

The guys I hunt with are exceptional in all regards, especially saftey. However accidents do and can happen. Blaze orange is one more tool to minimize accidents.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I couldn't even imagine stepping into a field without a blaze hat and of course my blaze mothers upland game bag/pack. If it's colder I have a full heavier completely blaze long sleeve shirt. I wear the same type of clothes regardless of hunting by myself or in a group. Easier to be spotted so another group of hunters don't encroach on you either.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Obviously I was just joking with my previous post about dyeing my dog a nuetral color. In fact, when hunting my dog wears a bright Orange collar.

I always wear a Orange hat and an Orange vest or coat with at least 250 sq. inches or blaze Orange.

I've had the misfortune of being shot twice in the field. Fortunately on both occasions the injuries were very minimal. On the first occasion I recieved one 7 1/2 pellet in the lip. On the second occasion I endured a blast of #8's from about 50 yards to my back. I thank my Filson canvas coat, for if not for that coat I surely would have been seriously peppered. As was the case one pellet struck me in the back of the head and one pellet passed through the coat and entered the skin at my right elbow. A week later the pellet at the elbow extracted itself in the form of a burst pimple. The coat had about 30 pellet hits, some of them passing through the coat but never hitting flesh.
I was darn lucky.

Of course, my hunting partner was profusely sorry. It was an accident. We still hunt together though we're both much more careful.

Only a fool would not wear at least a bright blaze orange cap.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Crazy Horse RVN said:
Of course, my hunting partner was profusely sorry. It was an accident. We still hunt together though we're both much more careful.
So how is Dick these days?

:D Just a little humor.

·
Registered
59 Posts
pintailtim said:
have hunted with a few guys that won't wear any blaze orange because they think it will spook birds....what do you guys think? Do you wear orange or not?
not sure about orange but when a rooster around here sees "yellow" (lab) he heads for the hills :lol:

birds have really good eyesight so color or not, they will see motion. I dont know if roosters can see orange or not, i would bet they can as birds have very keen eyesight, especially late season roosters that have hunted and pushed all season.

·
Registered
460 Posts
For the walkers, it doesn't matter what color you wear as the birds hear you before you get close.

However, I think pheasants definitely spot the blaze orange posters are wearing. I have seen many roosters flare similar to waterfowl upon seeing blazed orange clad posters.

In any event, I still wear blaze orange whether I am walking or posting.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Gooseguy10 said:
However, I think pheasants definitely spot the blaze orange posters are wearing. I have seen many roosters flare similar to waterfowl upon seeing blazed orange clad posters.

In any event, I still wear blaze orange whether I am walking or posting.
Gooseguy hit the nail; whenever I post I try to duck down when the birds start flushing and it helps alot; otherwise they will flare if they spot you :beer:

·
Registered
843 Posts
Another example:

I've seen to many people get hurt in the field due to errors in judgment or stupidity. I'm going to do everything I can to optimize my safety. There is no way I'd ever enter the field without Blaze Orange on.

My father had a beautiful shot on a grouse one day and he didn't shoot cause something just "didn't feel right". Once he analyzed the situation, he realized he could see glimpses of his partners Blaze Orange through the brush right beyond where the grouse flew. The Blaze Orange was enough to give him an uncomfortable feeling in a split second even though it wasn't a conscious thought. That's a good enough lesson for me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts