North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to set up decoys if your looking to shoot BOTH divers and puddlers? In the past we have set up two different spreads but that gets old real fast. Is there a way to set up decoys to attract both equally? I've got canvasbacks, bills, redheads, mallards and pintails and would like to shoot a little bit of everything. The lake we are hunting is deep, we have a boat if needed but would like to stay away from that as much as possible.

this is 3.5 dz cans, 1dz bills and a half dozen red heads

·
Registered
59 Posts
you know just from what I've been seeing lately...throw out some goose floaters also. here in illinois most of the ducks including puddle ducks and divers along with mallards have been over looking out duck decoy spread and lockin up and landin on the *** end of our goose floaters. best way we have done this is by doin the U just like you have pictures and throwing our goose floaters straight out in front. then u can get a mixture of all sorts including mallards, shovelers, pintails, and ring bills. thats what we have had come flying straight into our goose floaters. just a suggestion and might be worth a shot

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
When the divers arrive where I hunt, I end up putting out a mixture of 2 to 3 dozen diver decoys in front of the blind. Off to the right I have a 1 to 2 dozen Mallard decoys. I will also sometimes put 5 to 6 goose decoys on the left side, but not too often when diver hunting.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I will usually pack my puddler decoys in pretty close to shore then run a line of diver decoys down wind with a group of 8-12 out front on the far side of the puddlers. I make sure the tail end of the line is still within 40 yds. or so if they don't make the swing and just land at the end. I set out about 30 mallards and 24 bluebills and buffleheads.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
If you have or can get ahold of some floating goose decoys put them out and maybe a few ducks.

I use to set 3 dozen floating honkers and a dozen 'bills and a half dozen mallards out when layout shooting and shot both divers and puddlers on a pretty regular basis.

I know what you mean about setting two different spreads. We use to put puddlers out with divers all the time and finally just started setting mallard decoys and took what divers came by. Albeit, we set a lot of mallard decoys so we got a lot of diver flybys too.

Good luck,
Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts