North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
7,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sad news today guys ...

Let's all make sure we are doubly safe in the weeks ahead

I can't imagine how it could have happened. 10 years old might simply be too young to hunt.

My condolensces go out to his family. I can't imagine what his brother is going thru right now....

Ryan

http://www.kxmc.com/News/282914.asp

Dunn County officials say boy killed while hunting

Oct 6 2008 1:33PM
Associated Press
DICKINSON, N.D. (AP) Dunn County authorities say a 15-year-old Dickinson boy has died after he was accidentally shot by his 10-year-old brother on a hunting trip.

Dunn County Deputy Glen Gietzen says the family was hunting during the state's youth pheasant season when the shooting happened about 5:30 yesterday afternoon, north of Gladstone.

Authorities say Dillen Bloomgren was pronounced dead at Saint Joseph's hospital in Dickinson, of a gunshot wound to the head.

Information from: Donnell Preskey KXMB-TV, http://kxmb.com (Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. :eyeroll: :eyeroll:

· Registered
4,330 Posts
My thoughts and prayers go out to the family.....

· Registered
11,482 Posts
dogdonthunt said:
arent you suposed to be twelve in the state to hunt birds.... thats my understanding.... sad story.... my daughter missed it by one day... her Bday is today.....
Negative, you could be 3 and hunting, just have to be 12 or was it 14 to take hunters saftey... one of the two.

· Registered
1,021 Posts
Tragic story. My son (9 years old and in 3rd grade) was telling me one of his classmates was going pheasant hunting this past weekend. I just cringed. They are just too young to comprehend the consequence of just one mistake. That's all it takes...one mistake.

My prayers go out to the family.

· Registered
105 Posts
Allowing a 10 year old to hunt with anything larger than a BB gun is irresponsible. At that age they simply are not mature enough to handle guns, period. I know others will complain that their kid is different or my comment's will feed anti's but facts are facts.

Most have us have taken hunters safety and will agree that is is effective and they learned from it. Hunters safety is taught at age 12 for an important reason. Allowing a child to go afield without it is simply careless. I have introduced my share of kids hunting but only very careful consideration.

· Registered
513 Posts
Negative, you could be 3 and hunting, just have to be 12 or was it 14 to take hunters saftey... one of the two.
did not know that and as far as age for hunter safety my daughter just took it this summer and was 11 at the time 12 as of today.... from what Im reading on G&F it looks like your right about the age for hunting small game.... wish I knew that yesterday.... oh well....

· Registered
1,110 Posts
Dave Owens you didn't state any facts. Just your opinion which you are entitled to. My 7 year old shoots a 12 gauge. He shoots clays and doves with me. You don't know him or me so don't tell me he isn't old enough to hunt. This is a tragedy. Every year during pheasant the last four years of working ER in pheasant country I have treated shotgun wounds. All have been adults pulling the trigger. Accidents are tragic for the families involved. But they fortunately are the exception not the rule.

· Registered
980 Posts
Prayers with the family.

I almost feel bad just getting into the subject, but at 12 years old when I started hunting I feel I was very prepared. At 10, I was not at all.

Those 2 years at that age are like 20 years later in life. Something like this will be extremely hard for the family to get over. :eyeroll:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.