North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi !
I am wondering how the fishing is doing at the big DL. I have been there twice this year and did bad both times. We usually go to Black Tiger Bay and never have any luck. I was wondering if there has been any good fishing there lately. What are some tips of the trade of fishing this huge lake? Even in the summer we dont' do very good. What is the tips for summer fishing on Black Tiger Bay? do a lot of people jig in the trees? We tried everything! HELP!Please

·
Registered
352 Posts
Devils Lake had a really poor winter for fishing, despite what everyone wants you to believe. Overall I only got up there a few times and did horrible everytime. My inlaws in DL said they only had a few good outings all winter. They haven't heard of a trophy perch in 2003 on the lake!

I can say that with this warm weather,the fish will start to move shallow. Find the sunken roads or islands, or find some timber that isn't overrun by fishermen and it should be promising.The only tip I can give on bait up there is when you graph a fish and it's working your bait, keep it still.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Check out this report from Kevin N. under the Devils Lake reports. Although his is guide :puke: he does have some good tips.

·
Registered
3 Posts
mireault88, my advice to you for summer is to stay out of BTB fish the west end of the lake, I fish DL several times a year and also fish 2 tourneys a year there. There are lots of ways to fish the lake but I have three major ways I fish 1. casting cranks 2. slip bobbers 3. trolling cranks. I am not saying that is the only way but these three methods seem to always bring home the money in most tourneys. I hope this helps if you have any questions e-mail me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Early ice was really good this year for us when we were out perch fishing with lots of numbers and then when we had the big temperature changes and high winds it seemed to shut the bite down for a few days afterward. Last ice produced some really nice size perch for us, a 2.1 and a 2.4 lb perch the same day and then the biggest this spring was a 2.9 lb perch. You don't see many of these anymore like we use to in the 80's. But a 1.5 lb perch is a big perch. Once in the 80's, there was four of us in our house a hundred yards of to the side of a large group of anglers and at noon it started, we weighed over 80 perch that went over 2 lbs. I have never seen anything even close to that since. We caught all those pigs on a bare hook and a minnow and brought them up hand over hand, we had to feel the bites in our hands cause we always missed them when just watching our bobbers.

I like to concentrate my late ice perch fishing at the point where the sand and gravel meet a weed bed in 6 to 12 feet of water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts