North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hunt a river with a sandy bottom and had problems with strap weights holding the bottom. Any suggestions for anchors that will hold in the sand and keep decoys from floating away?

·
Administrator
2,907 Posts
You know, I have never "bought" decoy weights per se... I just go to the farm and start picking up junk - old frozen bearings, large races, etc... they work fine and are biodegradable.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Scoop weights, or mushroom shape both work well on the sand in the Great Lakes up here. Key is to have long enough line if you have any wave action so that they don't "hop" around on the bottom, but instead drag sideways. That way they dig in better. No anchor will hold with too short of a line in waves because they hop along.

·
Registered
210 Posts
bluebird said:
:withstupid:
hey, I resemble that remark :D

We have a heck of a time keeping dekes planted on areas of the Great Lakes here because it's all sand, and we get lots of weather and blows, so as I said the trick is to have a long enough line so the deke can ride the waves, not bounce. It's all an "angle of the dangle" question, which is an old scientific principle that I learned way back in engineering school many moons ago. Guess all that money spent did some good huh? I can figure out how to make a decoy stay put :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.