North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a question for all you PRO's,
I have a dozen Mallard decoys and am wondering how you guys would set them in a smaller size pothole. What shape, or is there not a specific shape? I also have a question to what words do people blow into the duck and goose calls. I have heard "quit" for duck and "too-it" for geese. Are there any other easy words that work well?
Thanks in advance for any help. We are heading out in the morning to the Douglas area and I will post the results tomorrow evening.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Set them up in the lee of the wind, try to find a spot where the birds can come in to the decoys over water for a ways. I'd put the decoys out in 2 little groups, 6-8 in one group, 4-6 in the other. Spread them out a little, 6-8 feet between decoys and about 20 yards between the groups.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I agree with tb. I have hunted many times with only 12 decoys and did just fine. The key is to scout and see if your "little pothole" had ducks in it the night before. Hopefully, you will get to hunt it alone or with your own group. If that is the case, you will do just fine.

As for the duck call. If you do not have much experience with it, my suggestion is to keep it in your pocket. Most hunters who don't know how to use it, chase more ducks away than what they draw in. Now that is not true of the goose call, but I would argue that about the duck call.

Get a tape (on duck calling) and some lessons, practice for about two years and then give it a try.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts