North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any body here have any experience with these boots?
I'm looking at a pair for pheasant hunting.
Do they stand up/ wear well in heavy cover?

Canuck

·
Registered
436 Posts
I love these boots to death and will never buy another pair unless ther are Danner Pronghorns. They are by far the most comfortable bottt I've ever owned, and I have never gotten sore feet or a blister from them like I have with other boots. They hold up very well in heavy pheasant cover. Although I'd make sure to buy some boot oil and grease them up after every few hunts. This will make the life of the boot last longer and help it retain it's waterproofing for a very long time. But this boot is great if you are on your feet all day or even if you are sitting in a tree stand all day when it's cold out. I bought the 1000 gram and my feet have never gotten cold. The price isn't too bad either compared to lots of other boots. But Danner sure knows how to make a wuality boot in every aspect. I definetely wouldn't hesitate in buying a pair!!! :beer:

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I bought a pair last summer and used them all fall for every kind of hunting. My feet were dry and toasty all the time. I guess I can't speak for the durability of them because they are only a year old, but so far so good. I would definitely recommend them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is the FIFTH year I've been using the same pair. I've done everything from hunting pheasants in the early season to hunting elk in December and I'll say they are the best boot I've ever ownede...by far. Like the previous post mentioned if you hunt consistantly in the brush you will need to oil them a couple times a season. I have the 400 gram pair and just use either a plain cotton sock or a light wool depending on the time of year and have never had a problem.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I have a pair of the 1000 gram ones. Very comfortable and warm. I have hunted pheasants walking all day long and never a blister or sore feet. Have deer hunted in -10 below with just cotton socks and feet never got cold. I would highly recommend them.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Yup, have two pair, one insulated and the other not. Love 'em. I have warm feet anyway when I walk so usually use the uninsulated for hunting and insulated for extreme cold weather and ice fishing. The inserts have a high arch which is good for old feet. There might be better dressings but Obenauf's Leather Oil has worked well.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow I guess they are good boots!!
Thanks for all the input. One last question if you can stand it...
I'll be ordering out of the catalogue...did you find your regular size fit ...my last pair of boots I had to buy a size larger than my normal boot size to get a fit.
Thanks again.
Canuck

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Size was right on for me. I got the EE ones so they are a little wider to fit thick socks, plus I have pretty wide feet as it is.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well I guess i'll be the downer here... I've only bought one pair of Danner's and never will own another one. They were the pronghorns and it took 2 weeks for my feet to finally quit hurting while breaking them in. Wore them everyday for 5-1/2 months and they were SHOT!

Won't make that mistake again...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Not sure but didn't the Pronghorn design change a year or two ago? I have two pair of Danner's and think one was called Pronghorn but it does not look like the current model. Anyhow, the stiching on my first pair wore out after 5 days of walking uplands in North Dakota. I sent them back and Danner replaced them. I have not had trouble with the replacement pair, been about 3 years now, even bought a pair of insulated ones. But I now apply "GOOP" or some similar stuff to the threads as extra protection. It peels off eventually but does protect the threads.

Danner lasts vary from boot to boot. I found a style that fit my foot in a design I did not want. I called Danner to find out which boots had the same last and then was able to order a pair that fit in a style I liked. I have wide feet and many Danner models were to narrow. If you call they may be able to make a recomendation for you.

·
Administrator
19,880 Posts
I bought my first ones four years ago. I have a neuropathy problem in my feet, and these were the most comfortable I could find. After I bought these I found some on sale two weeks later. I bought another set to keep on hand after the first ones wore out. So this is year four and I haven't opened the other box yet. My toe has worn through the gortex on the left side, so that foot gets wet once in a while.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have owned several pairs and used to were them for work, I was in a cooler where the floor was wet from the produce and I love them, comfortable from the get go.

I did buy a pair of the Pronghorns and they wore out after a short while but if you look at the danners they make some cheaper than others, the ones to buy usually have the sole stitched on, I was told that they warranty the more expensive ones better, I have sent a couple of pairs in to be resoled and was very happy with them.

When my pronghorns wore out they were $129 boot and they gave me $100 credit for a new pair.

I won't own any other brand of boot anymore.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I did buy them at a half size bigger but had thicker socks that day too. Just had them restiched across the toe caps by the local shoe shop, $5, and thats 4 hard seasons.

·
Registered
744 Posts
About 5 years ago, I bought a pair of uninsulated Danner Pronghorns to wear in the early pheasant season. Last year on opening day, there was a ton of dew on the grass. It was like it had rained for two days. I could ring the water out of my socks at the end of the day's hunt. I sent the boots in to Danner with a note explaining my wet feet. Keep in mind that the boots were at least 5 years old. Danner replaced them at no cost to me!!!!! Actually, my only cost was shipping them back to Danner. They didn't even ask a single question. Their customer service is unmatched. If I ever need another pair of boots....it will be from Danner.

I bought the same boot size as my shoe size. They have been comfortable from day one.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Just got my first pair of pronghorns. I love em. They are by far the most comfortable hunting boots Ive ever owned. No break in period and you can walk around all day in them. I do have narrower feet and the regular width ones fit me great at the same size I normally wear.

The leather does seem to be very soft and I could see there being a need for more maintanence with taking care of the leather, at this point it is worth it. My feet are still trashed from working for 3 weeks in july with a pair of rockys..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Danner boots are by far the best brand out there! I couldn't agree more!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.