North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw about 25 Sandhills when out scouting on Sunday.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Thanks for the information Ken and D, keep the posts coming. Count down until my hunting vacation is 38 days :thumb: .

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Saw about 4 doz in southern Wells this morning. Too windy even for cranes.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I've never hunted cranes...how do you guys do it....do you decoy them, pass shoot, or jump them.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hunt them just like black geese, except that you'll probably never jump shoot them, that wouldn't be any fun anyway. Cranes are incredibly wary; very, very rare to find cranes in a jump shoot situation. Decoying is a blast. Just spot the day before like geese. You don't need a lot of decoys, but you need great cover, these guys have incredible vision. Pass shooting is a definite possibility. Cranes leave the roost very early, so be set up at shooting time.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well the flock is now up to around 2,000 with more coming in by the hour. Thats one big *** jump in numbers in 5 days! This flock had only around 40 birds on Monday. :D Austin and I will have to see if we can put a hurt on them in the morning.

·
Registered
173 Posts
We ended up getting 4 out of 6. We missed 6 shots into a flock at about 30 yards so it was no fault of the Cranes that we did not limit. On the other hand some dumb *** set up within 300 yards of the roost and kicked the birds up with there first shots! :******:

·
Registered
507 Posts
Anyone target cranes over the weekend? If so, please let me know how the numbers are looking.

Thanks!

P.S. Austin congrats on your first crane!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Had real good numbers this morning in northern Kidder County. Ended up getting six between the three of us, along with some little canadas.

Please look at my post about getting your cranes checked. This is important, and it would save a lot of expense if people would pitch in.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.