North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
505 Posts
Thanks Chris, I had no clue on how to post a pic on the thread side (or for that matter the photo gallery) :oops:. Any pointers would be great!

· Registered
505 Posts
DJ:

I will take shooting 3 cranes over decoys over and above all other types of waterfowl hunting. There is nothing in waterfowling that compares to shooting three 15 - 18 pound cranes at 40 yards, wings set, with nothing but waves of cranes filling the skyline and their piercing/haunting calls filling the wind swept morning on the prairie. One limit over decoys and you will be forever changed.

· Registered
505 Posts
Steve:

Thanks for information, I was only guesstimating and it appears that I was high.

I looked up the biology in the my Audubon Encyclopedia and here it is...

"Sandhill crane ... 34 - 48 inch long, wingspread 6 - 7 feet..."

"Weight - Adults weigh from 5.7 pounds to 14.4 pounds, depending on the subspecies."

· Registered
505 Posts
Steve:

I am constantly amazed at how few people actually hunt these birds. The biggest bonus is that other waterfowl species will always utilize a field crane are using for feeding. I guess nothing says protection to a mallard or a Canada goose, like a field of 500 three to four foot sentries.

Mandan huh? Are you a local or a transplant? I am a former N.D. resident who spent the formative years in the confines of the walls and halls of the Mandan Public School District (even an alumni of Mandan High 8) ).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.