North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
We need a hard frost so the corn will dent. Silage cornfields have very little corn left in them after chopping. I am surrounded by over 400 acres of corn this year, it has been a literal zoo. :)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
buckseye said:
We need a hard frost so the corn will dent. Silage cornfields have very little corn left in them after chopping. I am surrounded by over 400 acres of corn this year, it has been a literal zoo. :)
If it froze before the corn dented it would be a wreck! Corn dents way before it is ready to harvest. You would want it to go to black layer and then freeze or else you would ruin corn not help it. Sorry is sound like a dick but i just wanted to correct you.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
waterfowler22 said:
I would think that it can only be 2 or 3 more weeks untill the majority of corn is taken off...............That sounds about right doesent it?
Maybe down south but here in nodak it will be a month before corn is harvested. It is really far behind this year so its gonna be late. You will see some early maturing corn combined early but for the most part it will be standing for a while.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
And your point is... because I know you aren't suggesting that geese and ducks don't visit these fields.
Totally depends on the farmers, if they do a clean job of chopping there is no corn left in the field. If they do a crappy job of chopping there is corn left in the field. When corn is harvested with combines it leaves corn in the field because some passes through the sieves. 8)

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
I hope it freezes eary so everyone who has a ton of corn will be in the hurt bag, then then will not be able to make rent and then more crp will go in.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
Harvesting is spotty. Best to look for the ag reports on what percentages of grain having been harvested in the different areas of ND.

Does anyone have those general reports? They discuss them weekly on the KFYR AG report.

A better way to ask the question would have been "Hey guys how much of the corn harvest is happening right now? Is there alot of corn still standing up there?"

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Sorry is sound like a dick but i just wanted to correct you.
What did you correct? To me you agreed, If it dries down natural it dents, if it dries down from frost it dents. I live in ND.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.