North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, I scored today! Very long story that goes along with this buck, but that's what makes it so great!

It started off when I was going to walk a shelter belt behind my buddy's aunt's house. We both had doe tags, so I was toting my rifle. As I am walking across the pasture to get to the end of the belt I see a deer lying under an evergreen! As I get closer I see it is a big bodied deer, I walk up within 10 yards of him and sat there and glassed him and I could see his chest rise and fall, and his ears twitch ever so slightly! I was thinking he was wounded, or maybe sick from something. So I quickly backed out of the area walked down about a hundred yards then finished the push. I then decided it was time to grab the bow. I was thinking the minute I left the area he took off, but I figured it was worth a shot! Grabbed the bow and walked back out the same way as it was perfect for the wind! As I get to the same spot, 12 yards on the rangefinder I decided to snap a pic!

It is kind of hard to make out but you can see him laying there and barely make out his rack!
I came to full draw and grunted nothing, grunted again, nothing, whistled, nothing, so I decided it was time to try a shot. I hit him well, figuring I clipped the top of the lungs. He got up so fast it was unbelievable. I had another arrow knocked and started to draw right as I came to full draw he busted. This was 10 A.M. Waited until 11 as I figured it was a good shot. Went out and started tracking, followed him about 70 yards to the small plot of corn behind there house. I jumped him. :evil: I could tell he was really having trouble running and he was full of blood. So we left and went to town to eat. As I was really having trouble not following him. Came back at 1 P.M. followed him into the neighbors trees, and once again jumped him. At this point I had had my buddy Josh go around to the other side of the belt to watch to see if he leaves, well he came by at 10 yards. Josh was armed with a knife, let me tell you he got his butt kicked. He honestly tried to tackle it........ :roll: Well this really got him going.

I then decided to give him another 3 hours. I followed him for a mile and started to loose blood. Thankfully there was fresh snow! When he got to the edge of the corn he took a 90 degree turn and must have busted something loose. He started SPRAYING blood! I found him about 50 yards from this spot! This was 4 P.M. Let me tell you it was about the longest day. Blood sweat and tears into this one! I really didn't think I was going to find him after jumping him this many times. It wasn't the best thing to push him the way we did, but there was rifle hunters everywhere and I figured if I didn't get on him tonight he was either going to get shot of found by one of them!
The crazy part it when I cleaned him both of his lunges were blown, and the very top of his heart had a cut in it. I have no idea how he made it as far as he did!
Here is a few snap shots! I couldn't get his darn tongue in his mouth! He was a little to stiff!

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
NICE!!! Good work staying with it!! :beer:

I got accused of taking a wounded buck from someone yesterday, first off we didn't even see a wounded buck. These people had the fever something fierce, the wounded buck was spotted a mile from where they were looking and where I was at. They fevered up so bad they think it was huge, the people who saw it said they wouldn't have even shot it, it was so small. So I caught hell from azzholes for nothing, when I see them again I will speak with them about this.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
A nice buck for sure!

I can't believe you took the time to snap a picture of it at 12 yards before shooting. The last thing on my mind would have been photography.. :lol:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
dblkluk said:
A nice buck for sure!

I can't believe you took the time to snap a picture of it at 12 yards before shooting. The last thing on my mind would have ben photography.. :lol:
I was thinking the same thing, but i'm guessing your buddy snapped the photo right before you shot?

congrats on a memorable hunt.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Very nice buck!!! I would of never been able to take a pic. first. Not to take the page but i also shot a very nice buck this weekend with a good story but i will start another post with pics. way to go.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
dblkluk said:
A nice buck for sure!

I can't believe you took the time to snap a picture of it at 12 yards before shooting. The last thing on my mind would have been photography.. :lol:
I know I would have really kicked myself if when digging for my phone he jumped up and took off!

I really wish I would have had Josh come with and video! That would have been sweet!

Thanks guys! I am still hyper about it today!

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
barebackjack said:
Sounds like one of the rare occasions when its a better idea to push em and get em bleeding.

Great deer! You lucky SOB, walk up to a monster buck sleeping. :eyeroll: :beer:
Unfreakin' real!

What are the odds of a deer sleepin' that tight to let you walk up to him TWICE!

Congrats!

:beer:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
great story, felt like I was with you when you shot it!!! ha

great buck, congrats.

Tator

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
R y a n said:
barebackjack said:
Sounds like one of the rare occasions when its a better idea to push em and get em bleeding.

Great deer! You lucky SOB, walk up to a monster buck sleeping. :eyeroll: :beer:
Unfreakin' real!

What are the odds of a deer sleepin' that tight to let you walk up to him TWICE!

Congrats!

:beer:
Kind of reminds me of a Patrick McManus story. One of his friends is describing his hunting ablilties.

"Yeah, old Pat is pretty sneaky. Only Pat can sneak up to a bedded buck and put the muzzle of his rifle to his head, and only Pat can still miss him".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts