North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
North Dakota's Prosperity is Eroding Credibility and Integrity.

North Dakota has given up much more than its heritage and culture for the prosperity it has gained. We are now losing the credibility and integrity of people in leadership roles. Opponents of the Clean Water, Wildlife and Parks Amendment have made exaggerated, misleading and untrue statements about the amendment. wwww.cleanwaterwildlifeparks.org

ND Century Code, 10-06.1-10, states purchases of farmland or ranchland by a nonprofit must be approved by the governor, with recommendations from the local county commission and the agriculture commissioner's advisory committee, which includes the presidents of the Farmer's Union, Farm Bureau, and ND Stockmen's Association. It's unlikely land purchases will ever be approved.

NDCC10-06.1-10,2e&f states farm or range land owned by nonprofits for conservation is subject to payments in lieu of taxes, assessed and valued in the same manner as other real property. Therefore no revenues are lost.

The fund established by the amendment will provide grants to public and private groups. Dozens of projects could qualify for funds, including projects for water improvement, habitat, public access, outdoor recreation and education, Flexibility allows for ideas to originate with-in an organization that must then present it for a recommendation from a 13 member advisory board, appointed by elected officials. The project must then be approved by the three elected members who serve as the North Dakota Industrial Commission.

All funds must be spent in the North Dakota to improve our natural resources, nothing can leave the state. Farmers and ranchers may once again have the option to better utilize marginal acres in a set-aside program similar to CRP and eligible for the NDGF PLOTS program. Federal programs no longer meet today's high number of requests for set-aside programs.

The amendment is funded through the extraction tax. In past legislative sessions, bills to lower the extraction tax passed the Senate, but were defeated in the House. Some legislators feel it's more important to protect oil dividends for stock holders then to protect our North Dakota outdoor interests. Funding of conservation practices is much greater today due to unprecedented increases in land values. Funding needs' must be put in proper perspective with today's land values.

Recently, a national advertising campaign was launched, called "Find the Good Life in North Dakota" for the purpose of recruiting and retaining a workforce to fill the states thousands of job openings.
The states economy can not afford to recruit and train a workforce, only to have them leave after the first ND winter. Preserving and enhancing North Dakota's great outdoor recreational opportunities and pristine landscape would be a huge factor in retaining employees. Mr Greater North Dakota Chamber, put the cost of conservation in proper perspective. Include the millions of tax dollars returned to the state from outdoor recreational activities, most of which is spent in the smaller, rural communities.

Support the Clean Water, Wildlife and Parks Amendment.

Buel Sonderland
2102 25 ½ Ave S
Fargo, ND 58103
701-799-2646

·
Administrator
19,678 Posts
Thanks Buel. I think greed is the big factor to oppose the 5% for conservation. For some 95% isn't enough they want it all. Those who give two cents about North Dakota only want 5%. The others are more interested in their wallet and monopoly on land ownership.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
That letter pretty much rang all the bells, in a nice way too. Hats off to Buel!

·
Administrator
19,678 Posts
Dick Monson said:
That letter pretty much rang all the bells, in a nice way too. Hats off to Buel!
Buel wrote:
Opponents of the Clean Water, Wildlife and Parks Amendment have made exaggerated, misleading and untrue statements about the amendment.
Ya, when they can't tell the truth I have to stifle my frustration and not drop to their level. On fishingbuddy one guy must have called me a liar about a dozen times over the Bundy Bungle. I don't think I reciprocated. More like Buels where he says untrue statements. :D

Some of those organizations have nearly always (perhaps always) taken a stand against conservation, against hunters, against habitat, and still try to come off as sportsmen on outdoor sites. I wish I knew how many people swallow their swill. I have had some good feedback on PM's as of late. It appears that some farmers are embarrassed by some of the people on here and fishingbuddy. They are not the saviors of agriculture as they see themselves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts