North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever shot one on North Dakota soil! I know they are usually a pacific flyway bird only! Also, has anyone ever shot a full plummage Blue wing teal in North Dakota(Legally)! Most biologists say they don't get that black head/ white crescent til January, but there is always exceptions!

· Registered
1,871 Posts
I shot one 27 years ago in Central ND. It was a fully mature drake. It came in on a snow storm the night before...actually there were several flocks of them. As I remember it tasted pretty good......too bad high school kids usually don't realize what they have in when they shoot it. At least I didn't at the time.

· Registered
115 Posts
Rick,

Guess who, according to the Texas locals I hunted with last January they say that it is even tough in January to shoot fully crested Blue Wing Teal. They usually get their colors in Feb or later when they come back from Mexico. There is no way that anyone will ever shoot a bird like this legally in our neck of the woods and anyone who says they have shot it in the spring guaranteed from what I have been told by the southern boys.

· Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Boozer! I agree with you, However...There is always exceptions! I'm a taxidermist and have seen a lot of crazy stuff in the last few years!

· Registered
115 Posts
Rick,

I know you do get them so does my dad at his place there must be an overwhelming number of people that live in the area that go to Mexico in Feb and March! I'll show you in Texas this winter what I mean. Maybe we will be lucky enough to get one that is close to full colored. By the way the Pintail that you did has had rave reviews from everyone they all want it in their offices.

thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.