North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time for new tires on both cars. I knew they were both getting to the point that they were needing replacing, but after driving around today I decided they need them asap. Any suggestions for a good all season tire? Something that is going to be good on the ice and snow. Theres so many different ones out there now that is almost impossible to choose.

Matt

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
I have always had firestone tire and have always been impressed by them. Though I get a great deals on them so thats why I use them.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am on my second set of BF Goodrich traction TA's. Have been very happy with them on a Grand Prix. First set gave me 59,000 miles before replacing. excelent in the rain and no problems on snow/ice.

·
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone else? I'm looking at some goodyear assurance comofortread's and general altimax hp and rt's. Both look to be decent tires, but am wondering what kind of experience people in nd have had with them or other tires.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Nokia makes the best winter tire. I had a set that I traded between winter bombers i'd run each year. They lasted at least 4 winters I was running vw rabbits front wheel drive and they would go any where I live in the Catskill mnts. of upstate NY and trust me we get bad driving conditions you will be amazed. I now got an old sunbird for this year and will be putting a set on that. I love them

·
Administrator
2,862 Posts
I have been running Michelins for the last 5 sets. They are the best tires on the market and I can get 100k miles out of a set. Great ride too. Got mine at Sams Wholesale.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The ideal rotation pattern is something called cross rotation, wherein you move your right front tire to your left rear and vice versa. This cross rotation provides maximum protection against wear and tear and asymmetries. Finally, rear- and front-wheel-drive tires tend to suffer more asymmetries than four-wheel-drive tires do.

wheel and tire package

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
From what I understand cross rotation can't be done with all tires. Some have a directional tread that can only run one direction. Cross rotating them would cause them to run the tread the wrong way unless it is remounted.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I bought my car 18 months ago with Insignia 200SE's on it. They had about 7/32 tread on them. 35K miles later, I had to put in struts. I decided to not wait until next fall to put tires on and put them on too.

Went back to the Insignia 200SE's again. Nice, quiet, good mileage, great performance in snow and rain. Can't argue with them.

Consider getting your whole suspension looked into before you do tires. At the least, get an alignment done at the same time.

These stupid things aren't cheap anymore.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.