North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hunting this Saturday when I saw a pretty big flock coming over the horizon, probably 300-400 birds. My first thought was migrating Canadas. I then started to hear Swans calling. Well once the flock got closer, it turns out the flock was a cluster F of Swans and Canadas. I have never seen them mixed in a flock like this, and to be so many together. It was about 50/50 in numbers. My guess is migrators as we do not have that many resident swans even remotely close to where I hunt.

Has anyone seen this before? I've seen mixed goose species before, but never Swans and geese?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I once tripled on a swan-canada-hen mallard combo...no lie.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
ValleyCityHunter2008 said:

I bet you it looked a lot like this than....
Actually no it didn't look like that since I was in ND and not Europe.

Although I'd love to shoot a shelduck someday. :D

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Matt Jones said:
I once tripled on a swan-canada-hen mallard combo...no lie.
You told me it was a drake mallard! :D

·
Registered
843 Posts
Matt Jones said:
Although I'd love to shoot a shelduck someday. :D
I managed to get my Shelduck pair in New Zealand this summer. I ended up hunting them like turkeys. Had to belly crawl in a stream bed and jump shoot them out of a field. They like green grass of a pasture. I managed a hen/drake pair there and then another drake pass shooting. They all will be in my game room.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I saw a lesser canada flying in with a small V of swans the other day. Right in formation and keeping right up with them. Of course, he had to beat his wings about three times for every stroke they took.
Good luck and nice pics.
Dan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.