North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
22M WORK

they are NOT a good option, but we here in Maine use em occasionally.
we had a permit back a while ago to take em out of an apple orchard, and we used a 22 m because of the mild report.
it never woke anyone up.
with a broadside shot, and held well into the crease behind the shoulder, we took does that field dressed anywhere from 90-140 lbs.

shots ranged from 35-90 yards and usually had a dead deer within about 50 yards...
the bullet will break a rib on entry, and get stuck on one at the far side of the cavity.
they held together much better than i expected.

THAT BEING SAID.... THIS WAS DONE IN A VERY CONTROLLED SETTING. I DO NOT RECCOMEND IT FOR HUNTING IN NORMAL SITUATIONS
it is not a deer cartridge, by any means....
at the very least step up to the 22 hornet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
yes a 22 mag. will kill a deer ..it will also wound them too...i suppose a wellthrown rock would kill a deer but i wouldnt advise that either...the fact of the matter is i think you are ill advised to hunt white tail with a 22 if you have other options...kinda like trying to out run john force on a moped!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hello everybody. I'm new to this forum, but I thought I could reply to this question:

My bro-n-law has killed two deer with a 22LR. I don;t think it's wise, even when it is legal, but I haven't said that to him. As far as I know, he hasn;t wounded and lost one yet.

So, yes. A 22 mag will certainly do it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts