North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
I like to call on the corners...... If they starting to turn away or angle away I will call. I will give a quick hail call to get their attention and if they start heading my way and will give them a few quick greeting calls to keep them interested. When they get within a hundred yards a will get a little quicker and start throwing feeding calls until they lock up. Within the last 50 yards I will just hit them with one or two quacks.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I used to overcall way too much, but this year I've been trying the method of just calling to get their attention and throw in a little quack or feeder in when they're coming to me and it's working great! I saw it happen so much this past week where people would just keep throwing hail calls to the ducks the whole time they'd be heading into the spreads, but by the time they got within 100 yards or so they'd flair. If the ducks are coming, there's no sense to keep calling, besides some softer and more subtle quacks to add a bit of realism. That mixed with a jerk cord on a couple dekes really makes them feel safe.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Duckslayer04 said:
I like to call on the corners...... If they starting to turn away or angle away I will call. I will give a quick hail call to get their attention and if they start heading my way and will give them a few quick greeting calls to keep them interested. When they get within a hundred yards a will get a little quicker and start throwing feeding calls until they lock up. Within the last 50 yards I will just hit them with one or two quacks.
Same for me. Within the last 100 yards. or so I will give them a soft periodic quack. If they start to turn away I will go into the feed call followed by a comeback call. So far this year I have been able to turn a good number of Mallards with the feed call alone.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
If their coming, I let em come. If they booger, ill hit him with some quacks. In high pressure areas they get call shy real quick.

I think most guys overcall everything, deer, ducks, geese, coyotes, etc etc etc. Im a firm believer in "less is more".

Not saying there isnt times when laying it on thik is the way to go, but I think most times just shutting up does the trick.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I don't usually get too scientific about it. I'll usually give a greeting call when I first see them. If they're coming I'll give them one more short and quiet greeting call when they are still 100 yards or a little more. If they're cupped I just do short little feeder bursts. ticka-ticka-ticka, wait 2-3 seconds, ticka-ticka-ticka.

On the corners is also a good rule play by too. Especially when they make a pass and you can call at their tails. That's money.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
When the ducks are coming in trained nothing is really needed (other than for your confidence), but on them other days (highly pressured, pre-hunted field, bluebird day w/ educated birds) it's a whole different story which obviously makes the duck call the most important tool in your shed bar none. Feeding, greeting, hail, comeback....anything to get their attention, retain it, and it's game on to at least steer them in for a curious peek. Situational and aggressive calling REALLY comes comes into play here.

On those days the birds don't want in for some reasons above; people start blaming themselves (ill-advised or over-calling), the decoys, blinds, mojo's, etc when in all reality 90% of the time this is not the case. This usually happens when you're well off the X, running traffic, or the birds have just been recently conditioned/educated making them all too leery.

For as hellbent dumb birds can be at times; they can also make a guy scratch a hole in his head the following day and that's what this sport is all about.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Just an observation here, but I see consistently year in & year out. Most NR that I've seen & hunted with when they come up over call like mad.

I tell them listen to the birds for awhile before starting the calling contest routine, as they will tell you what to say and how often to say it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts