North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
668 Posts
Cabela's is in East Grand Forks because the city gave them $7,000,000 to put up their $14,000,000 building. It didn't have anything to do with Dick and Jim's generosity, their accountant told them this is a no-brainer after reading the letter from East Grand Forks. Likewise they are downtown because that's where the barrel with the $7,000,000 was buried.

Cabela's figures that the location cost them about 200,000 visitors a year.

· Registered
668 Posts
Cabela's is in their present location only because of the money offered by East Grand Forks. The bottom line is that without the offer they would not be in downtown EGF, nor would they be in Grand Forks.

Irregardless of how they ended up here I know the gun department of Scheels has seen a substantial increase in sales since Cabela's opened and brings more people to town.

Competition quite often is the best thing that can happen to a business. Remember, IT IS NOT THE BIG THAT EAT THE SMALL, BUT THE FAST THAT EAT THE SLOW.

· Registered
668 Posts
If Scheel's policy is to match someone else's price does that mean they are too high to start with. I'd rather buy from the guy that sets the price everyday, rather than than the one that will match that price.

It was a real eye opener when Cabela's first opened up. They did it just before the ND waterfowl opener and I couldn't believe the parking lot. It was full from one end to the other and although not every state was represented there weren't many left out. I didn't realize that many people from New York and Pennsylvania came here for waterfowl season.

I have been to the Cabela's in Owatonna and the difference I noticed was in Owatonna people come out with small packages and in the EGF store the came out with boxes of items.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.