North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2,332 Posts
I do keep my money local...that's why I shop at Cabela's! The Cabela's put that store in East Grand Forks to help rebuild the community after the flood. In the first year alone it brought just under 1 million consumers into the downtown Grand Forks/E Grand Forks area. Cabela's stores usually set up off of major interstates, the store in Grand Forks would make more money and have more customers if they would of located it off of I-29. Currently it is the only Cabela's set up in town...and this is all due to Dick and Jim wanting to help out the community. Plus Cabela's is very instrumental in the area, sponsoring kids sports and holding fishing contests to help out charitys. There service is the best out their by far. They have come to be number one through great service, great products...not monopoly tactics.

I heard that they were just distributing Herter's items but wouldn't be suprised if they bought out Herter's. If Herter's did get bought out it was because of their own mistakes. The original Herter's was a great company...the "new" Northern Herter's is a pretty lame company. Their decoys aren't very good and are extremely overpriced. I knew they closed all their stores last year and was actually wondering how they were even staying afloat. I'm really not that suprised.

· Registered
2,332 Posts
Yes, they did move in to that location partially due to the benefits the city offered. The bottom line is if the Cabela's wanted to make more money in the area they wouldn't have located there. They would of located off of I-29 and the millions of customers that have visited the store would not have ever gone into the downtown area and spend money at the other stores. I don't see why you guys are worried that Cabela's will become a monopoly. There are still several sporting goods stores that are doing fine in the Grand Forks area. Prices have always been competitive and the service has always been top-notch. What more could you ask for?

· Registered
2,332 Posts
Field Hunter, they were going to put a store in the grand forks area regardless. There was never talk of putting it in Fargo. The reason? You wouldn't believe how many Canadians come down and shop, or how many guys drive up from Fargo.

[ This Message was edited by: Robert A. Langager on 2002-04-06 20:26 ]

· Registered
2,332 Posts
I don't know why a 4 year old thread was resurrected but at the same time I find it hilarious at how things have changed since them. :lol:

Look at the monopolys and how the big box stores have lost their customer service. It's no longer about customer service (that costs too much) it's about keeping costs low and investors happy...the travesty of IPO'ing. My, how things have changed in only a few years... :eyeroll:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.