North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to purchase a new yellow lab puppy as soon as I can find a British lab from a reputable kennel. I am considering the following kennels and wonder if anyone has experience with any of these breeders.

Duck Hill Kennels - Robert Milner

Wildrose Kennels - Mike Stewart

BritishLabradors.com - Dennis Anderson

Or if you have purchased a British lab from another good kennel I would be interested in hearing about your experience.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Why is it that you're set on a British bread lab? Where are you located? Is shipping a pup something you're willing to pay for?

When shopping around for breeders, make sure the parents have all of their health certs. Eyes, hips, elbows, CNM, and a new test that's out there now and only takes about 21 days to get results, EIC.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Ive been around a handful of the ones from dennis andersons place. They have all been nice looking dogs with nice temperaments but I wasnt overly impressed by any of them once the birds start hitting the ground.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My previous dog was a British lab and I like them because they are bred to have different traits, e.g. smaller size, calmer. I have owned enough dogs in my life to understand there are no guarantees on a dog but I have also had enough "hot" dogs.

The lab I had before the British lab came from a reputable breeder, good references, checked all the certifications, etc. I had numerous conversations with the breeder about what I hunt, how I hunt, what I was looking for in a dog, etc. He was a good dog but probably should have been trained by a pro. That is, a dog with traits that are probably great for field trials but don't work for someone like me who is a real amateur trainer.

I would rather not have to ship a puppy for a couple reasons, including costs. I have lived in Bismarck for over 20 years and I am still surprised at how few kennels there are that have labs. Not sure why but we can't even get a retriever club going here. There have been a few attempts but they have withered after a short time.

Chaws - what is EIC?

USAlx50 - what do you mean when you say "I wasn't overly impressed by any of them once the birds start hitting the ground."

·
Registered
39 Posts
Definaly make sure the breeder gets the EIC test done on the dogs he breeds. I, unfortunatly, bought a dog a year ago that tested "affected" with the EIC gene recently. I don't want anybody to have to see a dog that they put in countless hours training turn out to be just a pet. The test gets sent in to the UofM and 21 days later you know the results. My test costs about $100 by the time I was done paying the vet fees and shipping.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For those who don't know what EIC is, and I did not until I researched it, the acronym stands for Exercise Induced Collapse.

A blood sample is analyzed for a specific gene marker that indicates presence of the gene for this condition. Cost at the U of MN for the test is $65.00. I would assume that any vet can collect the blood sample and send it to the U of MN for the test.

Never heard of this condition before but also don't want a dog that has this gene. Any breeder I check out will be asked about this trait.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Aythya said:
USAlx50 - what do you mean when you say "I wasn't overly impressed by any of them once the birds start hitting the ground."
They retrieve but many didn't leave the line with much enthusiasm or mark very well. I suppose that might be nice for a minimum maintenence hunting retriever to take that trade off for a "calm" dog. I would just like to know that my dog will do whatever neccesary to get that bird instead of run out there, look around a little and come back to the handler empty handed.

Then again, my dog is not exactly a fire breather and the one time he broke today he continued to run through 100% continuous pressure on the ecollar all the way to the goose :-? There's always tradeoffs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Aythya,

I would be happy to show you my dog out of Anderson's kennel. I live in Mpls, if we live near each other. Keep in mind that when you send him on a mark he generally lopes off the line and then lays down and takes a quick nap. None of that really matters since he can't mark anything, anyway...I guess :lol:

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Dave, I honestly didn't know your dog was out of andersons kennel! :lol: Remmi's (the white one) got a little zip to him. And he minds you pretty damn well for never having the collar on him.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
daveb,

I am in Bismarck, ND. Bring your dog over this fall. As every bird I shoot at drops in one shot and is stone, cold dead before it hits the ground, your napping dog will work just fine.

But seriously, do you have a dog from Andeson's kennel? A friend here has a little female from Anderson's kennel and it seems to be a good dog. I don't think he uses his dog much on ducks as he is mainly a pheasant nut.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Aythya said:
daveb,

I am in Bismarck, ND. Bring your dog over this fall. As every bird I shoot at drops in one shot and is stone, cold dead before it hits the ground, your napping dog will work just fine.

But seriously, do you have a dog from Andeson's kennel? A friend here has a little female from Anderson's kennel and it seems to be a good dog. I don't think he uses his dog much on ducks as he is mainly a pheasant nut.
Dave has a nice dog, didn't know where he was from.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
KT British labs from Elbow Lake, MN has some nice dogs. I've seen a few first hand and they've got a nice breeding program that doesn't breed for the show ring, they're pure meat dogs of which some have some nice AKC and HRC titles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Definitly look into Wildrose Kennels. I have a yellow from them and will be getting another this December. My yellow is almost a year old now and I had him go thru the 8 month program there. He did great when we took him out this season! Give Mike or Cathy (his wife) a call. They will answer all your questions. They really know a lot about their labs. Wildrose is worth looking into.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts