North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine said he heard from another person that got a sizeable fine for waste because they only took the breasts out of their pheasants. Is this really illegal?

·
Registered
115 Posts
No. From Game and Fish website:

26. Wanton Waste of Waterfowl, Migratory Game Birds, and Upland Game

No person shall kill, cripple, waste, destroy, spoil, or abandon the edible flesh of any migratory game bird or upland game without making a reasonable effort to retrieve the bird/animal, and retain it in his/her actual custody, at the place where taken and between that place and either (a) his or her personal permanent residence; (b) taxidermist; or (c) a common carrier. Edible flesh means the breast meat of any game bird or the hind legs and lower back of a squirrel.

·
Registered
513 Posts
according to sparkys post only the breast is edible.... and the legs do not apply on game birds.... thats what Im reading there.... the legs and back seem to only apply to squirrels... sounds like your friend is starting a rumor "that he heard from a friend of a friend of a friend and so on"

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
It's not that they're not edible, it's just that it takes so damn long to get at it and for the amount of meat that's removed, sometimes it's not worth the effort for the legs, thighs, wings, and back.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Slough......

it depends if he was transporting the birds. If they are cleaning them in the field the birds need a breast and attached foot for identifications. Or a head attached.

So if he just breasted out the birds in the field and was transporting it back to his place of residence.......yep major no-no. But if he is at home and is putting it in the freezer. Should be no problem....or that is the way I read into it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yup, if he was cleaning them in the field and transporting just the breast without foot, wing or head attached...big no no. If he brings them home and cleans them and just saves the breast, have at it

·
Registered
610 Posts
I takes about 2 minutes to snip off a pheasants wings, rip off the skin, split it down the back with a pair of bird scissors, scoop out the guts, pick out bits of lung and snip off one leg. Result 2 - 2 1/2 pounds of bird.

For those of you who think the legs, thighs and backs are "inedible" ...get some new recipes...or just freeze those parts and I'll be over to pick them up when my 12 bird limit is eaten.

To each their own though, eh. :beer:

Canuck

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you only want the breat then just grab the two legs and jerk them apart to break the hips. Then peel back the skin to the head, stick a finger in between the neck and body area and while holding the bird thee you just pull on the head and neck and every part of the bird rips pff of the breast except for the two wings. Then you just need to cut one wing off and stick the bird in the freezer untill you are ready to cook and then you just cut the other wing off. Or you can do it like the previous guy said and it ends up looking like a rotiseri chicken. His way is the one I do the most but if you are in a hurry or only want the breast this way works good to. Both ways take a matter of seconds per bird.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I used to throw away the legs as well, but not anymore. I cook mine in a frier usually and the legs are great. I'm with Canuck, put the legs in a bag and save them for guys like us!!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
stonejs1 said:
I can shoot 3 birds a day and have up to 18 in posession and then when I eat some I can go shoot some more.
There is no "freezer limit" on upland game birds in North Dakota once they are at your permanent residence. There is for waterfowl though.

From Game and Fish website:

"Possession Limit" means the maximum number of the particular game referred to (except waterfowl and migratory game birds) that a hunter, legally licensed by this state, may have in his/her actual possession during any phase of any single hunting trip, venture, or expedition of more than one day. No more than one daily limit may be taken on any one day.The possession limit at one's personal permanent residence, except for waterfowl and migratory game birds, is unlimited.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Chuck Smith said:
Is that just for Residents? Because the Non-Res license only allows 12 for possession.
If you are here on a multiple day hunt, the most you could have in your possession would be 12.

If I went on a multiple day hunt and stayed somewhere besides my permanent residence, the most I could have in my possession on my return to my residence would be 12. But I could go on another multiple day hunt, bring back my possession limit of 12 and have 24 in my freezer at my personal permanent residence and still be legal. Make sense?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts