North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a very serious thing happening in northern Minnesota. All the bluebills r dying. It started last year on lake winnie over 10000 bills died from eating snails and it is happening agian. This year the snails have spread to surrounding lake (1 that I hunt 5 times a week) and combined this lakes at the peak of the migration can hold over 100000 birds at one time. No one how's what to do about the snails and this could mean real trouble for the future of bills. This is a very sad and serious issue! any ideas boys something needs to be do fast they 40000 may die this year

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
There's nothing we can do.

We need to accept the fact that as humans we have altered the environment in irrepairable ways.

In this case it's in the form of an exotic snail. It's our fault the snail is here and we can't get rid of it. The bluebills using that flyway will either die off or move a direction east or west.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The bluebills using that flyway will either die off or move a direction east or west.
Unfortunatly I think the former is more likely.

by the way 1000's have died all ready this year I have seen it personally I pickup 300 in one day this week
Any of them banded?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Matt Jones said:
There's nothing we can do.

We need to accept the fact that as humans we have altered the environment in irrepairable ways.

In this case it's in the form of an exotic snail. It's our fault the snail is here and we can't get rid of it. The bluebills using that flyway will either die off or move a direction east or west.
This isnt true. We did f-up their environment and I think it is our responsibilty to do everything we can do to help try to fix the problem.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that's what they say there is nothing they can do it is just sad. we drove r boat through the raft the other day and we litteral saw forty ducks dying they would not fly they just sat there with there head flopping back and forth. it was tough to watch. no bands

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
This is true. Some things we have done are irreparable...like bringing in exotics.

Eurasion milfoil, zebra mussels, spiny water fleas, etc., have all come here and there is nothing we can do to stop them. They've been here a long time. They best way to stop them is prevention. Once they're in a body of water they're not going anywhere.

Milfoil you can treat and they introduced a beetle to eat purple loosestrife, and they learned to control lampreys by using pheromones...but when it comes to snails and mussels and other micro-organisms we're screwed. There's really nothing that can be done.

I'm sure people will try and who knows, maybe someday they'll figure something out but I don't think the outlook is very rosy.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Anymore info on this?
What kind of snails? Where did they come from? How long they been there? What exactly are the snails producing that kills the bills?

It sucks, but theres also the saying that "life will find a way". In some cases, the natural species can adapt to the introduced.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I don't remember the whole story but if I recall correctly there is a type of snail that hosts a parasite. The bills eat the snails and die. The last I heard the DNR was still doing tests because they weren't totally sure if the snail was the host for the parasite.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts