North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have an opinion on Black Cluod shells?
I have heard from some that they are very impressed with them, awesome penetration even beyond 40 yards. Also heard they make big holes.. not so great for small birds. I usually only take high percentage shots over deeks so don't think I'll need to spend $20 a box but just interested in other opinions.

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
On Marginal shots they are deadly. They pull feathers into the birds much like Lead. I love the stuff on geese.

This topic has been brought up many times! May want to try a search!

·
Registered
747 Posts
hunt4P&Y said:
On Marginal shots they are deadly. They pull feathers into the birds much like Lead. I love the stuff on geese.

This topic has been brought up many times! May want to try a search!
I just use lead.

Because it hits like Blackcloud but is cheaper.

:lol:

J/K

Blackcloud works great, but it is expensive and better for longer shots.

Sort of wasting it if your shooting close over decoys.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Started using it last year with some pretty good success. Out of curiosity I included it in my patterning that I just did. Much to my surprise (because of the pellet shape) it patterned better than anything else I put through my gun. Confirmation on my results from last year, I guess.

The patterning was done with 3 1/2" #2 and #4. Didn't have any BB's left. Benchmarks were done against like blue box Federal, Winchester Xpert, and Kent. An assortment I collected from last year. Maybe apples to oranges in some respect (didn't pattern any of the other high end loads), but the results were pretty definitive for my barrel and choke.

There are three of us in our hunting party and we were all looking for the BC 'ripping and tearing' that has been noticed by others. However, we didn't see anything that was appreciably different than other shot. These were on mostly bigger birds mind you....don't think any Teal, etc. were taken with BC from us last year.

So, I'll be using it again this year. My $.02.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
wi2nd said:
The patterning was done with 3 1/2" #2 and #4. Didn't have any BB's left. Benchmarks were done against like blue box Federal, Winchester Xpert, and Kent. An assortment I collected from last year. Maybe apples to oranges in some respect (didn't pattern any of the other high end loads), but the results were pretty definitive for my barrel and choke.
What choke did you use? Mod, Improved?

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
Can someone explain what magic exists that makes paying more than twice as much for half as many shells is for?

What black "magic" exists within the shell to justify that high price?

It's all marketing to me unless someone can tell me otherwise.

Seems they are "changing" everyones expectations on what shell prices should be.

I'd suggest that you all not buy in to the hype. Even if they work better, who cares? Do you need a limit to prove something to all of us?

I would think that long term for the good of the sport, that we ALL only buy shells costing $10.00 a box(for 25 shells mind you) period.

Just like with groceries and other products, you are now paying more for a smaller package.

Don't let them change price points!

My .02!

·
Registered
11,478 Posts
R y a n said:
Can someone explain what magic exists that makes paying more than twice as much for half as many shells is for?

What black "magic" exists within the shell to justify that high price?

It's all marketing to me unless someone can tell me otherwise.

Seems they are "changing" everyones expectations on what shell prices should be.

I'd suggest that you all not buy in to the hype. Even if they work better, who cares? Do you need a limit to prove something to all of us?

I would think that long term for the good of the sport, that we ALL only buy shells costing $10.00 a box(for 25 shells mind you) period.

Just like with groceries and other products, you are now paying more for a smaller package.

Don't let them change price points!

My .02!
The thing is if you spend $20 on a box and use half as many you are far better off. Everyone lays in the decoys and shoots at a bird hits it and watches it fly away.... correct? Well I have yet to have a case like this with these shells. I have even used 6 shot on pheasants late last year. Never had a runner.

I would rather pay a little more and never get sick about wounded birds, or winged birds that sail. :2cents:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I am just curious what chokes people are using with it. Anyone?

·
Registered
26 Posts
My patterning was with a modified choke.

As has been posted many times in these forums, I would recommend taking a few minutes and doing a patterning with your own configuration to see what works best for you.

I would have loved to see what my non-Black Cloud patterns would have been with a Patternmaster choke....maybe next year.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Guys I don't see the hype with this crap, I found a box on the road last November and picked it up (didn't know it was full, just don't like it when slobs litter the ditches) shot a few shells but didn't notice anything great. I can guarantee that I wouldn't have known it if you mixed them into my pocket. On the other hand if you would have mixed in a few 4Buck shells that would have been a different story. Ryan do you remember how great that stuff was? Save your money, buy twice as many shells per $ and learn to get closer.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
Rick Fode said:
Guys I don't see the hype with this crap

On the other hand if you would have mixed in a few 4Buck shells that would have been a different story. Ryan do you remember how great that stuff was? Save your money, buy twice as many shells per $ and learn to get closer.
Yep I sure miss that stuff and the 00 buck too.

We still have a few unfired shells we kept of it for conversation pieces. I think that stuff was loaded with 1 7/8 oz of powder if I remember correctly.

That stuff would reach out and "touch" em out to 65 yds consistently if you knew how to lead 'em. Only took 1 or 2 bb's and then came smack down hard.

I sure wish that some new company would come in and sell tungsten or bismuth for current steel prices. Give me a box of 25 BB's in bismuth with an 1 5/8 of powder in a 3 1/2 inch shell for $15 and I'll buy 20 cases. Some company needs to come in and undercut the market with a shell that forces everyone else down. I seriously believe they are all in collusion together keeping the current prices artificially high.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts