North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What brand and model would you all suggest for a good o/u. I don't have alot of money to spend, but I don't want to go extremely cheap. I mean like 500 or less.

Let me know what you all think.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
500 or less is pretty much extremely cheap for an over/under.

To get in the range where you are going to get a gun that lasts and takes some normal abuse, you are probably looking in the 900-1000 range, and that is on the used side for rugers, beretta's, citori's, etc.

I was in the same place several years ago, looking around a khan's, spartan's, mossberg's, etc., and doing my research, they all seem to have major longevity issues, parts issues, fit and finish issues, quirks about not closing the action with the firing pins out, etc.

I ended up buying a used 3 1/2" Browning Citori Satin Hunter, and after 5 years, I have absolutely no regrets. I have a shotgun that will last for 30-50,000 rounds conservatively, and is rebuildable at that point.

So, my personal advice, is save a little more and do a little shopping in the used area. That way, if in the end you end up not liking the O/U, you will still have value to trade or sell later. And if you do like it, it will last and not give you continual problems.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I shot a Mossberg Silver Reserve for a couple seasons. It was built like a tank, but the stock & forearm got scratched up to bare wood in short order. It was as if the finish was painted on.

I thought it was pretty decent until I replaced it with a Ruger Red Label.
The difference between a good O/U and the bargain basement models then became very apparent. Compared to the Red Label, the MSR was like swinging a 2x4.

Still, if that's what you plan to spend, then the MSR is one of only a couple choices you have.

I would recommend saving another $300-$400 then looking for a good used Ruger Red Label...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am with terminator the Ruger is tough to beat fore the money. The browning is not a bad grab either but they are a bit long for most people.
I like the Ruger the best. If I could afford to go with the Beretta silver I would have that after the Ruger.
Having ejectors in an over under is a must.
Find one that fits good, has ejectors, selective barrels, and that you can carry for a day then buy it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My 2 cents! Magnum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.