North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the information about the banded mallard back on Monday. The bird was banded at Ste Claire, Quebec!!! That is about 2000 miles from here. I was so surprised at that I had to check the numbers on the certificate and the numbers on the band. Sure enough they matched. It was banded in April of 1996 and was hatched prior to 1995. That's one old mally!!! I guess someone from the research center out of Jamestown called about the duck and I wasn't at home. He told the wife that he would call back. I bet that duck had quite a story to tell!! Just thought I'd let everyone know.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Pretty cool return info there Doug. It never ceases to amaze me how many miles these birds travel in their lifetime. :beer:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
and to think Chris and I handed it to you......That's cool! I think we should still have won the Greenskins, due to the bonus ponits of shooting a 8 year old mallard! Especially the fact it was a Canandian duck.DAMN Canadians!

Mav....

·
Registered
803 Posts
I got a Honker during the early season by Churches Ferry that was banded in 1994 and at least one year old when banded. It was banded south of Kearny Nebraska. He had another younger goose with him, banded in the same place but in 2001.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
A friend shot a drake mallard a few years ago that was 11 years old and banded in Tallulah,LA.My last banded mallard was 5 years old and banded in Punichy,SK.The 11 year old mallards band was so worn you could barely make out the numbers on it.Doug,Any info on that banded goose?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thats really awesome man! I havent shot a banded duck or goose yet, but my dad did and he let me hang it on my lanyard. I dont think that we ever recieved our certificate unless my mom thought it was junk and threw it away! (moms lol) anyways, good job on the band and hopefully everyone gets some this year!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts