North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you all think of these measures as related to ND in general.

They will be on the ballot in November.

Measure 1 Would create an Oil Tax Trust Fund where the interest could be spent

Measure 2 if passed by a simple majority of the voters, would reduce individual state income tax rates by 50% across-the-board and corporate state income tax rates by 15% across the board.

·
Administrator
19,688 Posts
Number one I don't know. Our legislature sure didn't know how to handle the tobacco settlement money. Well, I'm not sure how it turned out, but when they wanted to use it on the Devils Lake outlet it was misuse. That was supposed to pay for health expenses. Where did it go in the end?

Number two, sure that would be ok if we have sufficient funds now. It looks like we have a surplus. I have mixed feelings. That surplus is nice to have as long as the legislature don't blow it on something stupid. I have less than zero confidence in our legislature. My lack of confidence I guess leads me to say cut the taxes and forget the surplus. If conditions change then we will have to go back to the voting booth.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Plainsman said:
I have less than zero confidence in our legislature.
I have to agree with that one!

I pay more living here in West Fargo then any where I have lived in this country. It really is sickening the amount we pay.

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
I am curious what are the corporate and individual rates now??

Corporate taxes are a sham they are really a hidden tax on citizens too dumb to realize that corporations do not pay any taxes ever, they just collect them from customers, employees and stockholders. Its slight of hand done by legislators.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I pay more living here in West Fargo then any where I have lived in this country.
God's country isn't free!!!!!!! :wink:

·
Premium Member
6,676 Posts
those are realestate taxes not the things this thread is about..just saying

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
Guys.......one thing about a surplus.....keep building it. Look what is happening in the neighboring state to the east......they had a huge surplus of taxes......then Jessie decided to give some back and also cut taxes....now schools are strapped for cash, road projects are under funded, not to mention the wildlife and envirormental issues.

So tax cuts or giving money back sounds good and all.....but it could bit you in the backside years down the road.

When it comes with taxes......if there is a surplus.....keep building it is my motto. Because schools and what not always need money. Just as long as the guys in office know how to use it. That is the tough part.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
#1-no Absolutely zero trust in the politicians to handle this income.

#2-yes I'll take where I can get it. This is really the only tax we can control our own destiny on. Real estate taxes are set by county and city govt.'s, very difficult to repeal.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I could go for number one if it were dictated were the money may be spent. One possibility would be to reduce or eliminate our state fuel tax.
And/or dedicate some to the universities for alternate fuel research. How about some for environmental/habitat restoration.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I say vote no. Our income tax rate is very low. Just look at your last years ND tax amount. It's pocket change compared to your Federal income tax. Furthermore I would be surprised if the legislature does not reduce it some anyway. Considering they just realized that we have a huge oil supply under ND I don't see us not getting a lot of money in the state coffers for a long time.
If something happens like some kind of disaster and the money is needed it would have to wait for another vote. That surplus can be used to reduce property taxes. If we cut income taxes by 50% that might not happen as much as is needed.
Let's give them a chance first. Our two governor candidates are talking some pretty good tax reductions.

·
Registered
428 Posts
SD has 0% income tax, and doesn't have the rich oil fields. I think ND could do away with it all toghether.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts