North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Ive sat on piles of corn about 320 acres to 640 acres. It really is a rush when you have them come by with this natural baiting practice. Even sat on Soybean piles with even more acreage.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
haha to you bait haters.. I have a 184 inch whitetail killed by an arrow over a 5 gallon bucket of corn. But guess what I knew the deer was there because I saw it. I just love seeing about 9-10 does on my baitpiles, I know a buck will someday follow them in. Yayy for me...lol

And to the person who started this topic, it takes more than bait to get a deer. Like someone said they like hunting trails to baited areas and I have found that very rewarding also with a 172 inch ****** coming from that. Then of course there is water bait, man made stockponds I have a 154in ****** from that experience.... it all works you just need to put in your 1000 hours a year like I do. :sniper:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Raisns. The deer LOVE them. We just scatter them down the trails and it keeps them using the trails. We don't put it out if we're going to be hunting though, its more for early in the year before season starts. But around here, they deer love them

David

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
For good measure, let's hear some reasons why you think baiting deer is a positive practice?
One big fat reason.... because I can!! :lol:

Bretts you are quite hostile for a moderator. Maybe you should think about that... :lol:

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Well it's definitely not ethical that's for sure.
Haha your so funny.... it was OK before you glory boys showed up!!

I bet killing is a sport to you also... whew we got a wild one here, might have to snub him to the post .. :lol:

I have always felt it's a downfall when it comes to how others see hunting.
Divide and conquer will be the downfall and you are very much helping that son. :D

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
You are so ignorant it disgusts me,
Come on no name calling, or go to the youth form and mod that where we would expect childish comments. :lol:

Theres no shame in my game baybay!!! :lol:

·
Registered
243 Posts
To each there own. I personally don't bait but I am not going to critisize anyone for it. I think High fenced hunting is way worse than baiting. If a deer does not want to come to the bait it does not have to.

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
If baiting is legal so be it.

Bretts....

How about
1. spillage that happens in fields.
2.How about the people who "Feed" the deer in the off season with piles of corn, apples, etc.
3. People who don't hunt but feed deer.
4. Bird feeders....yes deer come to them to eat seeds, corn, etc.
5. How about food plots. Yes food plots. Most people when they put in a food plot only put in about an 1-3 acres if that. I would beat that most people don't even make them the size of a city lot.
6. Making a water hole or a mineral site.

Now all of these are places for everything you mentioned could occur. (disease, in-breeding, etc.)

Here is my big thing. If people want to ban baiting that is fine. But don't down grade people who do it. Many people use it because they can and it is legal. They use it along with attractant scents, cover scents, scent proof clothing, scent shield sprays, calls, elevated stands, rattling antlers, etc. It is a tool that is legal to use in taking of an animal just like everything else I just mentioned.

Now just because you don't use it don't come off with an attitude that you are better than them.

Be happy that people are out there hunting and not sitting at home doing nothing.

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
I happen to think shooting a deer with a hi-power rifle is "unethical" IMO. It takes less "skill" as a hunter compared to say a bow, it could be spun to say a hi-power in a persons hands heightens the probablity for "road hunting" or other practices more commonly thought of as "unethical", now, does that mean gun season should be outlawed?
Anti hunters see bowhunting as unethical and a "downfall" in general anyway. Think about that.
And, where do you draw the line as to what is "bait", some would consider your doe-in-heat scent wafer or wick as bait, are mineral licks bait? how bout food plots? What if I decide to hang a stand in the corner of a corn field because 30 yards out is a nice 3-4 bushel pile of spilled corn. I didnt put it there, but its absolutely NO DIFFERENT than if I had. What than?

Divide and concquer is the name of their game and it seems to be working.

As for disease and blah blahblah. What about that lone stand of oaks in a predominant ash woods? Gonna be alot of deer scarfing those things up with plenty of contact. Theres thousands of "deer yards" every winter in this state on "natural" bait piles, haystacks, grain piles that came out the *** end of a plugged combine, or an auger left on leaving the truck. Theres plenty of contact at these "natural sites", plenty of "nose to nose or nose to excrement" contact and so on so forth. The fact remains, if the herd gets disease in it, its going spread wether people bait or not, plain and simple. Show me one study that proves the in-breeding coefficient within a herd increases with baiting, id like to see it, its here-say. If anything, the inbreeding coefficient is higher due to our completely out of whack buck to doe ratio, bucks dont have to travel to other neighboring areas to breed does as theres plenty in their core area. The reasons stated against baiting are pretty asinine in my opinion. In fact, the disease reason is probably the most solid, and its still pretty weak.

I dont bait, its not for me, dont really care if someone else does, whatever. Dont want to see baiting on public lands, and even though ive never seen one, dont think these "300 bushel grain piles" ive heard about are right. But for a guy putting out a half bucket of corn or salt block or whathaveyou, I dont really care.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.