North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recieved my first antelope back from the taxidermist about a year ago.....right away i could not get the odor to go away.....you all know the odor im talkin about......so i let it sit in our unfinished basement for 3-4 months...bring it back out put it in the room and it still smells like antelope very bad!!!!!!could it be some type gland? is there anything i can do? Didnt get tanned good enough? Take it back to taxidermist? anyone else ever have this happen?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just saw your post.

That black spot on the antelope neck/jaw has a gland under it. It needs to be fleshed down to the point where the gland is gone, but not into the hair roots. Fussy job. If the gland was mised- it will never go away.

I would take it to another Taxi- have em order you a cape and remount your horns on a different form/hide.

I send my hides out for fleshing and tanning on Antelope, since I am never sure about that gland. It costs me more, but its money well spent. If your guy wasnt familiar with those glands, you could be in trouble.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Have three goat shoulder mounts in the house and none smell. Your taxidermist screwed up...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts