North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I go into the details of my hunt from this morning, I gotta fill you guys in a little bit. First of all, everyone should note that I had never picked up a goose call until last night at about 5 pm and had about half an hour of dinking around with it by myself without instructions from anyone. Secondly, we had 2 floaters and a $20 cheap-o short reed call. Also there was an island of reeds and cattails about 50 yards in front of us that separated us from the main part of the lake.

Last night my friend Ryan and I decided we wanted to go out goose hunting once together before the early season ended. He gave me one of his calls to practice on for the night, just for ****s-n-giggles. I had to overnight, though, so I just went home and slept then went to work.

We met up at 6 when I got off at a waterfowl production area so we could set up our amazingly intricate spread of 2 geese and 2 coot floaters. We didn't hardly see anything until 7:30, about an hour into shooting hours. We saw a few, but Ryan was calling and just couldn't get them to respond and they didn't even give us a second glance.

So at 7:34 we scooted ourselves to our central meeting place to sit and go over our options: A)leave now, Ryan has to go to church at 9 anyways and Alex (that's me...) needs to go to bed; or B)stay there, see some, but probably not get anything to come in. We went with choice "A." Or at least we WERE going to go with "A." About the time I went to get the dekes, we heard a couple honkers a long ways to the east. Ryan tells me he doesn't want to try to call them in and that I should give it a shot.

He hands me his $20 short reed and I give it my best, trying to get these few in. So they come up over the trees on the other side of this lake and there's at least 20 of them in this one flock. We just about crapped in our waders because not only were there 20+, but they were landing. Not only were they landing, but they were coming RIGHT INTO OUR 2 DEKES!!!!

We were so jazzed, we were each going to get a triple, I knew it. Unfortunately we didn't, but that's irrelevant. Something made them a little uneasy at the last second and they veared behind the island, which is about 50 yards wide as well. After about 30 tense seconds I heard one honk. I had no idea how far away it was when it honked, but it was directed right at me.

I honked back at him, and this went on between me and the whole flock for at least 45 minutes. I even had 2 come swimming over on the left about 75-100 yards off to check me out. In the end I ended up making ONE funny sounding note and they took off. I was enitially really angered and quite flustered that after all my hard work, they left without us getting a single shot at one.

Then I realized something, I just called in a freaking flock of 20 geese my first day with a goose call in my hands!! After I realized what just happened I felt like I just drank an energy drink, pot of coffee and had 3 caffein pills, I was so wound up and excited about what just went on that there's no way I could've been mad that I didn't get to shoot any of them.

Now I really can't wait to get my call in! I guess now I need to get some dekes and a nice acrylic goose call. I've decided I absolutely LOVE goose hunting!! I can't wait til regular waterfowl season so I can try again! :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Good job, shooting them is just a small part of the fun of it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.