North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
m thinking about taking up snow goose hunting next year. i think i have everything i would need for a hunt minus the decoys. what size spread do you guys consistantly run to kill birds in the fall? i'm going to go the sillosock route and probably take a trip to canada every year just to chase them as well. thanks for the input and i appreciate your help

· Registered
1,206 Posts
If you go with silosocks, I think if a guy starts I would buy econo silosocks. and a few dozen snows and blues. I have been running 50 to 60 dozen this spring and fall and I have another 15 dozen to assemble still.

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you very much. i'd like to tag along with someone for a hunt to see if i really would like to get into hunting the elusive snow goose. but from the numbers i've been seeing it definetly makes me wanna get into it

· Registered
1,206 Posts
jawn said:
thank you very much. i'd like to tag along with someone for a hunt to see if i really would like to get into hunting the elusive snow goose. but from the numbers i've been seeing it definetly makes me wanna get into it
Stick around long enough and you get the tag along unless LEO doesnt like you. Then you are screwed officially. I think they will aloow you to go, hell they let me and I wouldnt have done that. :D

· Registered
10,071 Posts
cgreeny said:
jawn said:
Stick around long enough and you get the tag along unless LEO doesnt like you. Then you are screwed officially. I think they will aloow you to go, hell they let me and I wouldnt have done that. :D
Funny I thought it was that no one liked me. :roll:

· Registered
13 Posts
You guys and all your talk about avery FBs they are the best snow goose decoy out there I believe in quality. Not saying other stuff don't work. There is nothing out that looks or works better than the Avery's with the motion bases. You guys can have your silo socks !

· Registered
5 Posts
I like the full bodies too but why would anyone who is just starting in the snow chasin frenzy want to invest a couple grand in just the decoys before they even know if they like the headaches that come along with chasin the white devils. We all need to start somewhere.

· Registered
618 Posts
dlubbers said:
I like the full bodies too but why would anyone who is just starting in the snow chasin frenzy want to invest a couple grand in just the decoys before they even know if they like the headaches that come along with chasin the white devils. We all need to start somewhere.
A couple grand is an understatement. That will only get you about 10 doz. averys. Not near enough to get an accurate idea of what snow goose hunting is like.

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks guys for the replies. i think i'm gonna go with socks just for space saving mainly because i dont make enough money to have 2 trailers and storage is somewhat of an issue. i can justify my 8 dozen bigfoots with my wife. i dont know how she would take it if i ran the idea of getting another trailer for snows. i'm going to go with the sillo socks brand it appears that they do kill some birds and they take up next to nothing for space.

· Registered
3,067 Posts
We got suckered in to the whole fullbody craze 2 years ago. I'm not going to lie, we saw the first Zink snow goose hunting part and went out and dropped over 3000 on fullbodies. We have just under 200 and the birds do decoy into them like you wouldn't believe, but when you are dealing with muddy conditions or large groups you might as well stay home. We bought 700 or so sillosocks now and in the spring we only set our fullbodies up once or twice out of 16 days or so a spring. The way it has come down, when hunting in the fall, fullbodies. In the spring, sillosocks.

I have had my best days, number-wise all over sillosocks. Because I can get out in those sticky situations where it is snowy, muddy, and windy.

hunt by myself over sillosocks

I have had my best, closest decoying birds consistenly over fullbodies. Just last weekend we had a group of 2000 snows at about 5 feet-50 yards, with groups landing in the fbs. We shot 16 out of that one group between 4 guys, but couldn't pull in migrators with only 240 decoys out.
Hunt on Halloween over Fullbodies.

My unbiased opinion.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.