North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight i am going fox and coyote hunting ... i never attempted this before but i am always trying new ideas that usually work .. i am thinking about using fox lure urine and dabbing some on my hunting shirt and then going out hunting ... will this draw in a fox or coyote better or will it give my position away more easily ect ect ....?

·
Registered
477 Posts
don't put it on your shirt. the smell i'll be on ur skin for days. put it on some key wicks and hang em on trees or some brush. the urine would just probally make the animal feel more comfortable knowing a another animal had been there not to long ago. :beer:

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
if you don't have any wicks, just use an old film canister, or other container that seals pretty well, not your mothers Tupperware, take a few cotton balls and place them in the bottom of the container and wet them down really well with fox urine.

Another idea is to just take the bottle of fox urine with you in the field and spray a few shots in the air around you.

I agree with 308 you don't want that crap on your shirt.

xdeano

·
Registered
338 Posts
If a fox or coyote gets down wind of you the urine is not going to cover your human scent. You could put it in a film canister like Dean said and set it out in front of you. It may give you an extra couple seconds to stop them for a shot, but it is probably not going to lure them in. Definitely don't put it on yourself or you might have some trouble picking up the ladies for a week or so :lol:

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
huntinND,

You're right on it won't lure anything. It'll just make them think for a few seconds. I've stopped using this technique because of the hassle and other reasons. If you play the wind right you won't have to worry so much about cover scents or your scent for that matter.

Barebackjack,

That sounds like something you'd do, L'odeur de ******.
:lol:

xdeano

·
Administrator
19,688 Posts
I have used film canisters like xdeano mentioned. However, I use two and put one to each side about 50 yards. It may get them to stop for a second when they are trying to downwind you.

·
Registered
477 Posts
i hope he didn't put any on himself. If he did he'll be stinking for a week :puke: It says right on my bottle of fox urine "don't put on clothes or skin, U may be attacked :eek:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Speaking of attacked...... anybody here of that lady that was running down the road and got attacked by a rabid fox and the thing clamped on her arm and wouldn't let go so I guess she ended up driving to the hospital with it still on her arm. Ya I know what your probably thinking, because I was thinking the same, no way! I personally didn't see the story on the news, my dad was telling me about it about a week or so back. Anyone else here about this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hahah no i did not put it on myself ... i put some on a rag ... every spot i went out to i called atleast 1 in suprisingly and they hung around longer than i have ever experienced in the past

·
Registered
48 Posts
i know this sounds funny but i experimented with it a few times and have had positive results. i do spring beaver trapping and i use beaver castor in my sets. i went out yote hunting a few times this fall and put some on cotton balls and ended up with coyotes 2 out of the 3 times i used it. not saying this improved my odds at all, just thought i'd add it. i tell ya, that castor is so strong, i think you could cut a coyotes nose off and he'd still smell it in the next county. my wife hates my smell in the spring when its time to trap beav's. so then i have to soak my self in beer to get the castor smell off me, its a workout i tell ya! lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts