North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to field hunting for waterfowl. I have about 20 goose decoys 12 hot buy shells and some floaters I bury the keel on. My question is should I buy a dozen cheep full bodies, or should I buy a quality goose call like a feather duster with a DVD to teach me how to use it. I am currently using a flute. lastly i will also be hunting ducks out of this spread, and hunt mostly with myself and maybe one other person. thanks for your help

·
Super Moderator
8,737 Posts
Get a good call and the dvd. When buying decoys or calls dont ever buy cheap (unless they are used) If you buy cheap you will hate yourself in the long run.

Feather Duster are good calls, along with Tim Grounds, Death Row, and Sean Man.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I'm not sure where you're going to get a dozen FB's for the same price as a custom call. You could probably get a call and a half dozen FB's.

If money is a real issue I'll tell you what I tell everyone. Try a poly Super Mag. It's about half the price and all the call.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am a student right now and have limited money so i was looking at the sport plast collapsible goose decoys because they are $90 a dozen and i only have $110 to $120 i can really budget for hunting other then gas to scout

·
Registered
987 Posts
diver_sniper said:
I'm not sure where you're going to get a dozen FB's for the same price as a custom call. You could probably get a call and a half dozen FB's.

If money is a real issue I'll tell you what I tell everyone. Try a poly Super Mag. It's about half the price and all the call.
x's two...

no reason for ya to get acrylic, they are alright, but not worth paying at least 2-3 times as much....

right now tim grounds has a super mag in orange for 35 bucks... been my favorite call so far.. I like the real thang, but just can't make it do anything my poly super can't do...

i'd get a cheaper end call (same guts that go into acrylics) and half a dozen deeks!

·
Registered
987 Posts
George Zahradka said:
you can get a poly call for a fraction of the cost about 20 to 30 bucks it prety much sounds the same as a 150.00 call.... and still end up with the decoys......
yepp, i've been through the hundred dollar calls, doesn't pay out.... spend the extra coin on the deeks

although they don't make a real thang in poly... that i know of..

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT buy that DVD. Worst calling video I've ever seen.

Get Honker Talk by Shawn Stahl, and people are also going to tell you over and over again to get Bad Grammar by Scott Threinen. Which is a good video, but you're only going to want to watch the first half of it at first, he gets into some stuff that will be way too advanced for a starter in the second half.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bad Grammer. The DVD. It is the most informative instructional DVD out there. It brakes down every note and shows you how a goose does it and how to do it in a hunting situation. From the beginner to an advanced caller

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
diver_sniper said:
Do not, I repeat, DO NOT buy that DVD. Worst calling video I've ever seen.

Get Honker Talk by Shawn Stahl, and people are also going to tell you over and over again to get Bad Grammar by Scott Threinen. Which is a good video, but you're only going to want to watch the first half of it at first, he gets into some stuff that will be way too advanced for a starter in the second half.
What he said.

I think honker talk will probably be more helpful for someone completely fresh to short reeds, although scotty did a great job on the bad grammar dvd and you'll love it once you get past the basics. I found feather dusters to be the easiest call to learn on, and right now I'm all about the grounds calls.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Use it on gas. But if your for sure going to spend on something else I would just save it for now until you get some more money then I would spend more on a decent call (There are some real good ones for $25-$60) and some decent dekes.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I bought the Grounds poly call they have on sale right now and couldn't be happier. I've also got the Honker Talk DVD if you'd like to buy it, let me know. I've got the Bad Grammar DVD on its way.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Buy the decoy's. Hunting those relaxed ND geese you wont need a short reed or high end decoy's. Getting on the X aint hard out there either. I'd say you got it made. Buy the decoy's...

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Ha ha relaxed North Dakota geese. That has to be up for the dumbest comment of the year award. :eyeroll: Infact I am not even going to take anymore entries I am just going to give you the award out right. It is a whole diffrent game once the boat parade starts rolling through out the state. Most of the sucess during this time of the year comes to guys who run atleast 10 doz decoys and are more then efficent on a goose call. hahaha RELAXED North Dakota Geese.. Classic... :withstupid:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts