North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner

870's for short fat people

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  NDMax 
#1 ·
I have an 870 that is a touch too long for me. Is it a stupid idea for someone to cut the stock down so it fits better or will it improve things for me? I read somewhere that if you cut down a stock it can screw things up with your cheek hitting the stock properly. Anyone have any info regarding this?

#6 ·
By all means, make the gun "fit" you. Find someone with experience to help and you'll make the best move ever.
I've got the opposite problem. Bought my 870 when I was 18. At age 25 I was lucky to make a friend of a gunsmith who helped me fit my stock by adding to give me a 15 1/4 length of pull and 1/4 inch cast off.
Your goal is to make the gun point where you are looking.
1. Wear your regular hunting coat when fitting the gun.
2. Gun must be properly mounted.

You won't believe how much this will improve your shooting.
Good luck.

#7 ·
I find that all factory stocks except the Winchester 1300 are longer than my preferred 13.75" LOP.

Shortening the factory synthetic 870 stock can be a trick as it's hollow and the solid portion the recoil pad screws utilize are not designed to be altered. I believe the Ramline aftermarket stock is designed to by shortened, don't know about others..

I have several 870's but primarily shoot a synthetic Browning BPS. It has a solid stock and was a breeze to shorten.

BTW, the trickiest part is to re-shape the recoil pad to fit. Mark the base with a pencil, then carefully remove material with a belt sander, fitting it as you go...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.