North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i was wondering if anybody knows of a picture of an 8 gauge shotgun on the internet. thanks

·
Registered
781 Posts
The lady who owns the farm where I hunt had one for years. Single shot. She ended up selling it at an auction that she had. I wish I would have known she was selling the guns,it would have been over my fireplace. :cry:

Alex

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I know a guy who owns one. It's a deluxe model LC Smith from the '20's. It's value is $15,000+.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Still a lot in use over here, mainly used for goose shooting. Harder these days though as you have to use non-toxic, with Tungsten that means about $8 a shot but what the heck it is still good fun.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If it bother you that much, just think what it costs for a shot with a 1 1/2" punt gun.

If you need to work it out that is Powder + Shot + Wadding, etc.; so just for the hell of it lets ignore the cost of the wadding and caps etc. just think of the shot at £1 per once and you get 4 loads from a pound of powder.

Just for the record lets call that a total of $50 (minimum) now that is what I call Ouch but if you enjoy it do it cause you can't take it with you :eyeroll:

·
Registered
41 Posts
jaydogg said:
can i ask a question? what in the he** would you need an 8ga for?
It's a two part answer to this.
Firstly, and this is the main reason for me is for wildfowling, because of the range and the pattern is far superior to any 12 or 10 bore load you can think of (we all know the benefits of bigger barrel diameters verses the same load of shot)
Secondly, some of it has to be nostalgia and the respect for these types of guns.
Guess there is a third one too, "we still can" so lets keep it. Even over here it is now classed as an obsolete "gauge" size.

·
Registered
400 Posts
If i was ever out hunting and saw a guy shooting geese at long ranges with an 8 gauge i would break his legs. You wanna sky bust on snows be my guest but seriously don't pull that bs on my canadas or ducks. might as well shoot them when they are roosting on the water. un ethical and completely un necessary from where i stand. I hate when I put in my time and money getting the right spot and gear just to have some fool sit 150 yds away and shoot at birds that are flying 80yds plus over them to get to me. Thats total bs and i would rather they just come over and ask to hunt with me, I would be more than happy to show them how to hunt.
Not saying you want it to sky bust like that but if you do don't let me catch you. :******:

·
Registered
850 Posts
If i was ever out hunting and saw a guy shooting geese at long ranges with an 8 gauge i would break his legs.
Just shoot back. :lol: lol My grandpa told me stories about how they would go shoot sea ducks with huge shotguns and punt guns in the 20s. He said his brother and him could shoot 50-60 birds in 1 shot consitantly. They were doing it for food and feathers. Back then when you rowed a boat in the atlantic during Nov. to shoot ducks you made every shot count, this is the niche that the 8 gauge, fourbore and punt gun filled nicely. Nowadays we are doing it for sport not sustanince(sp) so we are a lot more ethical and sporting. I enjoy shooting birds but I get off on fooling them into landing in the spread. My grandpa would roll in his grave if he knew how much money I had tied up into goose hunting. :roll:

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
meltyblood said:
Tungsten is carcinogenic. Not as bad as lead but a lot worse than steel.
Your first and only post and this is your reply? What in the world brought you here... and what in the world were you searching for to then feel the need to reply to this old thread with that response?

just curious...

Ryan

1 - 20 of 134 Posts