North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a new rifle before November and was wondering what all opinions were on these guns in 308 open to others in that price range and possibly single shot configuration

thx in advance :beer:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new on this site, but have been shooting a long time. Most of my experience is with Rem. 700s. The last few days I have been looking for a new rifle and was considering a 798. After reading a few comments and finally looking at one up close...I decided it was not what I wanted. The Mauser action(actually a Mauser commercial action) was very rough when cycled. I think it could be smoothed some, but why would a person buy a new rifle that needs work.
The other two rifles are getting some good comments on shooting forums. I believe the Savage would be my choice.
Indy

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd have to say one of the nicest guns I've ever handled in 308 calibre was the new TC Icon, many likeable features except for the price. One should check it out, beautiful wood, and the TC reputation.

Just my two cents, never fired one, jsut handled it at the store...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Again my two cents:

Just thought you would like to know that I purchased a 270 WSM in Weather Warrior this year at a heck of a good price. Nice stainless heavy barrel, clip, accutrigger etc. POS injection moulded stock. I sold it after I tried to set up my harris bi-pod. Savage should be embarassed about that stock. I too wanted a rifle in that price range. My advice is stay away from flexible moulded stocks, maybe consider wood. BTW I ended up purchasing a Remington Buckmasters Model 700. I installed my bi-pod, and BAM shot like a professional. Very accurate, new trigger and comes with the r3 recoil pad. 600.00 and Remington had a $40.00 mail in rebate. FWIW.

Cheers,
TMM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.