1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fifth Grader Suspended For Wearing Anti-Obama Shirt
by FOXNews.com
Tuesday, September 23, 2008

An 11-year-old boy in Colorado was suspended from school after he refused to take off a shirt that read, "Obama is a terrorist's best friend." His father says that the school is violating his son's First Amendment rights.

Daxx Dalton, a fifth grader at Aurora Frontier K-8 School in Aurora, Colo., wore the homemade shirt on a day when students were asked to show their patriotism by wearing red, white and blue, according to MyFOXColorado.com.

When he was given the choice of turning the shirt inside out or being suspended, Dalton chose suspension.

"They're taking away my right of freedom of speech," he said. "If I have the right to wear this shirt I'm going to use it. And if the only way to use it is get suspended, then I'm going to get suspended."

Dann Dalton, the boy's father - a "proud conservative" who has taken part in anti-abortion protests - told MyFOXColorado.com that the school is making a mistake by suspending his son.

"It's the public school system," he said. "Let's be honest, it's full of liberal loons."

The school district would not discuss the case, but said the district "respects a student's right to free speech, such as the right to wear specific clothing," but they reserve the right to review any situation that interrupts the learning environment, MyFOXColorado.com reported.

Dalton's suspension was for willful disobedience and defiance, not for wearing the shirt. His father said he intends to sue the district.

Click here for more from MyFOXColorado.com.

[url=http://elections.foxnews.com/...ections.foxnews.com/2008/09/23 ... ama-shirt/

Pretty sad when a 5th grader is more intelligent then almost half of the voting-age population in the U.S.

·
Administrator
19,966 Posts
Who's the loon???
You were not suggesting that just because the father had taken part in an anti-abortion protest that he was a loon were you? The abortion issue is pretty much a 50/50 argument among voters which means it's mainstream. Oh, maybe it was because he was conservative??? No, that's about 50/50 also. The question must have been serious. I would guess the school official dumb enough to violate civil rights and get the school sued was the loon. The kid will win this one. To bad liberals think civil rights don't apply to conservatives it would have saved the taxpayers into this school some money.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dosch said:
Dann Dalton, the boy's father - a "proud conservative" who has taken part in anti-abortion protests - told MyFOXColorado.com that the school is making a mistake by suspending his son.
Who's the loon???
Not sure I understand your point? Are you saying that the father of a political minded 5th grader is a loon? Or the liberal minded, left-wing nut-job that suspended the kid is a loon?

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plainsman said:
Who's the loon???
... To bad liberals think civil rights don't apply to conservatives it would have saved the taxpayers into this school some money.
Oh Civil rights apply to everyone at all times....as long as the left wing liberals agree it does...other wise it is discrimination and Bush's fault and the Republicans are to blame.....

Where is 'The' Reverend on this one? Why isn't the ECLU screaming at the school and warning of impending doom and gloom through the court system on the school for committing such an atrocity against humanity?

·
Registered
955 Posts
Yea I'm saying the dad who sent his kid to school wearing the shirt is a loon. Not saying I'm pro Obama, just saying people who try to live their lives through their kids are loons.

I'm sure you will say it wasn't the dads choice. But have a little common sense. I'm sure the kid eat, sleeps and ****s "conservative" thoughts.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Is the shirt in poor taste? yes. Suspended for--you got to be kidding.

If that is the kids actual view that he is a terrorists best friend, then the suspension is completely bogus. But if it was his Father's opinion and the boy is being used to carry his fathers polictical agenda, then that is over the line, but not worthy of a suspension.

So when kids were wearing "Bush is a murderer" as I have seen some shirts, did they get suspended too?

Or is it a double standard? Which is very likely. As the father is right, schools are full of liberals who bristle when a differeing view in offered that is contrary to their own agenda.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Funny side bar.......

My Grandson started Kindergarten in a twin cities subberb. 3 boys in his class have the same backpack and they keep getting mixed up. My solution sew a patch "100% NRA" on his pack. Grandma and Mom vetoed that idea thinking the kid would become an outcast or get kicked out, sent to the principal office or the like. My response is Grandpa may have to visit that school. I lost of course.

Bottom line....There is no two way street when dealing with liberals :puke:

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
zogman said:
Funny side bar.......

My Grandson started Kindergarten in a twin cities subberb. 3 boys in his class have the same backpack and they keep getting mixed up. My solution sew a patch "100% NRA" on his pack. Grandma and Mom vetoed that idea thinking the kid would become an outcast or get kicked out, sent to the principal office or the like. My response is Grandpa may have to visit that school. I lost of course.

Bottom line....There is no two way street when dealing with liberals :puke:
Heck Doug, lets get a 12 pack and a sewing needle and do it without them knowing!

I am kidding but I like the idea!

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
h2ofwlr said:
Is the shirt in poor taste? yes. Suspended for--you got to be kidding.

If that is the kids actual view that he is a terrorists best friend, then the suspension is completely bogus. But if it was his Father's opinion and the boy is being used to carry his fathers polictical agenda, then that is over the line, but not worthy of a suspension.

So when kids were wearing "Bush is a murderer" as I have seen some shirts, did they get suspended too?

Or is it a double standard? Which is very likely. As the father is right, schools are full of liberals who bristle when a differeing view in offered that is contrary to their own agenda.
Got to say that I agree with you on this. If it is the kids point of view...great! If dad is living vicariously through kid...bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.