North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WILLISTON, N.D.

A Williston bow-hunter was looking for deer but found a mountain lion instead.

Jake Bloxham say he saw the cougar around 8:30 p.m. Saturday while watching some deer just southeast of the city.

He said he aimed from about eight yards as the cougar started coming toward him. Then it veered off and went into some willows. The next morning, Bloxham returned to the scene and found it dead.

Bloxham's mother, Wendy, said the male mountain lion weighed about 110 pounds and was about 2 years old. She says her 20-year-old son has been an archery club member for a long time and has had hunting success but "nothing like this."

District Game Warden Jeremy Wentz said it is the second mountain lion killed this season in the area, which has a quota of eight.

___

Information from: Williston Herald, http://www.willistonherald.com

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Leo Porcello said:
Why is that cat smiling at me?

Glad he was able to find it the next day!
Not only is he smiling, I think he is winking too!!

I am not sure I would be steady enough with a cat approaching me to shoot him with a bow. Very cool.

·
Registered
7,734 Posts
It's possible it turned to bound away to the side and he just followed it. I know I've seen cats completely turn and twist their hips to jump sideways at something...

I suppose it is also possible that the arrow moved around alot as the cat bounded away thru the brush. The brush might have caught it and twisted the shaft backwards like that...

I just can't get over the size of the paws on that thing! :eek:

It would snap your neck in a heartbeat if he caught you right.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Awesome!! :beer: Sundown was at 7:44pm Sept 20, 2008.

There sure are alot of lions around ND in the last few years.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Sundown was at 7:44pm Sept 20, 2008.

I noticed that too -- but if you figure it out he is probably ok. Probably close to sundown around 8 pm in Williston, followed by the 1/2 hour after sunset rule and he would be alright.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have some questions about lion hunting.... what is the point of lion hunting? Meaning is it just for sport or wildlife management....? What do you do with a mountain lion once you've shot it? Am I totally wrong in saying that people do not eat these animals.

Before anyone gets bent out of shape, the above questions are pure asked out of pure curiousity....NOT to degrade this guys choice to hunt mountain lions or his accomplishment in taking such an animal with a bow.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Gooseguy10 said:
I have some questions about lion hunting.... what is the point of lion hunting? Meaning is it just for sport or wildlife management....? What do you do with a mountain lion once you've shot it? Am I totally wrong in saying that people do not eat these animals.
yes its used as a widlife management tool just like deer hunting, most people usaly make a rug out of the hide and have the skull boiled and bleached and if you wanted to spend the big bucks you could have it full body mounted. some people eat the meat and some dont, most places you only have to retain the head and hide..... the meat tastes alot like pork

·
Registered
12 Posts
It's HUGE!!!!

Brave young man indeed.

I have never seen anything like that out in the wild.

·
Registered
460 Posts
A few more questions for my curious mind.....

Did this guy go out hunting specifically looking for a mountain lion or was it a target of opportunity while deer hunting? Meaning, do people hunt for mountain lions specifically? If so that is a dedicated bunch of sportsment!

Also do you need a special license to hunt these cats? If so how are they chosen?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I know guys that go out as soon as the snow hits if the quote hasn't been hit and try to call cats. However for the most part they are targets of opertunity. If you get the chance to blast one better do it.. It is once in a life time!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts