North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
It depends on what your shooting. If you're shooting deer I'd say go with the 95g, if you're shooting varmints i'd go with the 70g.

If you're shooting longer ranges I'd go with the 95g Ballistic tip over the 70g. The 95g has a bc of .379 and the smk has a .259.

It all depends on how well the bullets will shoot/group in your rifle, you'll get a hundred different suggestions, just buy a box of each and give them the test.

xdeano

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. We are shooting deer at about 100 yds or more. I think we will try the 95 grain. When I change bullets now, how much are our guns going to be off? Should I get them bore sited again so to not waste amnio? Thanks for the advice. This a mom and a son hunting, getting ready for the weekend.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I wouldn't even consider using the 75 grain, it's made for varmints. The 95 would be much better. I don't think bore sighting will help you either because you should already be within 6 inches point of impact between the two loads. I would shoot a three shot group at 100 yards with the 95's, measure from the center of that group to where you want to be. Adjust your scope, most have 1/4 inch adjustments or 4 clicks = one inch, then fire another 3 shot group to make sure you are where you want to be. It should take you less than 10 shells per rifle to switch loads.
My guess is the 75's print 3 inches higher than the 95's and maybe and inch or so to one side, but you have to shoot the rifles since you are talking about hunting at 100 yards plus. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
You should not see a huge difference. Having said that, you would be well served to have an extra box to sight the rifle before hunting. Sight two inches high at one hundred yards and you should be golden out to three hundred. This of course would assume you are shooting a rifle/ load combination that will take full advantage of the fine BC of the Nosler 95 grain BT.
Best,
Burl

·
Registered
189 Posts
if youre shooting a coyotes or smaller game than a deer i use 55 gr ballistic tips i hand load and am shooting just over 1/2 5 shot groups at 100 yards. for deer i use a 100 grain boat tail soft point bullet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.