North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
greetings,

been using 22-250 for everything from prairie dogs to deer.....using same load...53gr. hornady, 36 gr. h380 and fed 210 primer....fox doesn't exit...prairie dog devistating.....deer...place shot where you want it or let it go...i have never had a deer go more than 100 yards after the shot....an excellent rifle

I am not sure how you can say it is not an ethical choice. It is quite ethical if used in the right way. I have shot quite a few deer with a .22-250. 1. DON'T shoot at running deer with one. 2. I only take head shots on standing deer, usually 200 yards and under. If I have an extra doe tag to shoot, and have lots of opportunities at standing deer I will use this rifle (on stand) as I shoot it very well. If I am walking/pushing deer, or am hunting bucks where I will probably take a running shot I am either carrying my 7mm Rem Mag or my .308 Win. There is more chance of error here so I use a heavier caliber, I also don't want to lug my 10lb. plus varmint rifle around.

The cartridge is fine if a little judgement is used along with it, it is not a cartridge designed to push through heavy muscle and bone. I avoid everything but head shots with it, although if you have a broadside or slightly quartering shot where you can avoid the shoulder it is also quite devestating on the lungs.

In my opinion there is allways the chance of hitting the front shoulder on a deer.That is why I choose a rifle caliber that will deliver 1000 ft-lbs of energy at point of impact and a well designed bullet(grand slams,partitions,fail safes,barnes X,etc).If I make that mistake the rifle and the bullet will do the job.I curently shoot a 7mm rem,30-06,and a 280.

madtraper yes i agree i use a 223 and 22-250 for coyotes and fox not for deer. i could prob. kill a deer with one without much trouble yet i can also wound one with out much prob. also. i use too many guns for deer and i can't settle in on one260,270,280,308,30-06,300, 35 rem i am starting to favor the 308 and leaving the others in the gun rack. yet when i go to grab on the last two i think about r the 223 and 22-250.

A 50 grain Barnes X-Bullet in a 22-250 can deliver 1000 ft/lbs. of energy at 100 yards. A good constructed bullet with adequate energy within its range. I typically use a 260 or 300, but I would not tell someone they are wrong for using a 22-250.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.