North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner

22-250 good gun or bad gun????

22K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  Varminator 
What about a .308 winchester
I would be willing to bet that many a .308 has droped a dear dead in its tracks

headhunter said:
lezpaul2000, Well, your right, a 22-250 can kill a deer, but so can a 22 rimfire. anything "can" kill big game. It is just not the ideal caliber to take hunting whitetails. Speed does not kill my friend, Energy transfer/bullet placement/bullet performance is what kills. It should be illegal to shoot at deer with anything less than a 25-06. and even a 25-06 is on the light side for people who take killing a deer seriously. I know people use varmit class rifles for deer,(way too many) but someday, they will wish they actually used a "deer rifle" when they loose a deer. For an adult hunter, there is no reason to shoot anything smaller than a 270. (ok, we'll squeeze the 25-06 in too...grumble)

I learned to shoot in the military(USMC) I can tell you that if you apply the basics of marksmenship a 300 yard shot is not hard at all. if you are using a scope you have the luxury of your deer and your aiming reticle in the same focal plain. not to brag but we learn to engage man size targets with iron sights at 5oo yards. So I must say that a 300 yard shot at a good sized deer with a scoped riffle isn't that hard. I will say this though kinetic energy transfer and bullet placement are just as important as shooting ability so my weapon of choice for dear is a .308 winchester.
its light recoil makes it easy to control when you squeeze the trigger.
I have no doubt with a 180 grain bullet you can stop a dear dead in its tracks at ranges less than 500 yards. for that matter it will stop any animal that weighs less than 200 pounds out to 1000 yards if you can shoot well enough. yes i said 1000 yards. don't get me wrong I would never take a 1000 yard shot even if I can shoot that well. ( I have hit a few paper targets from that range.) that is just not using common sense in the field.

bigblackfoot said:
Good point, i got what you are saying. Although a 243. or 6mm will kill a deer at 300 yards, youre right, it is getting to be pretty lengthy shot. But if you can kill deer consistently at 350-400 yards you are a pretty damn good shot. Personally i shoot a 7mm, which is more than enough for whitetail. Its just that i used to have a 6mm and am kinda parshal to them, and have seen them work. Good conversation. Have a good season

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.