North Dakota Fishing and Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

· Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first pre-season game under their belt.... What are your takes on it??

1. Teddy and first string offense moved the ball well. Again it is the first pre-season game and what have team been together... 10 days or something like that. But looked sharper than Pitts defense and typically defense is ahead of the game in all pre-season stuff.

2. Trae Waynes..... Needs some work. He got faked out on some double moves but had some make up speed except for the one. He also needs to learn the NFL game as what is allowed and not allowed. But he is a rookie and will get calls against him more often than for him. But he has to get better, but the talent and product is there. Just depends on how fast he adjusts... which I will say..... After Bye week... he will be starting.

3. LB play was ok. But again Big ben and their RB didn't play. But looked good and serviceable.

4. OL... Looked good and handled Pitt ok and moved the ball.

What do others think???

Yeah it is pre-season and I am bored....LOL

· Registered
724 Posts
Our defense is going to be vastly improved, the linebacker from UCLA looks very good, I believe he was our 2nd round pick, Waynes will only get better with time on the field, Bridgestone has looked pretty good as well, losing Loadholt hurts but they say that new kid we drafted is looking good, but a rookie at right tackle usually doesn't go so well for the OB, just really excited for the real season to start, and really really like our coach..........

· Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
9man...

Agree on Loadholt..... That is a key loss right there. The kid they drafted out of I think Clemson is looking legit. The plan when they drafted him was to have him play back up tackle and guard for a couple years so he can get the speed of the game down and what not...then move him to tackle. So this injury is just speeding up the process. But he has a big role to fill and hope he is up for the challenge. I hope they get some good guard play or help so they can speed up this process. But for sure if I was a D-corrdinator... I would be attacking the rookie.

The LB situation with Kendrichs is exciting. This was a kid on their radar when they were scouting Barr for the draft. They talk when they drafted Barr was that they couldn't wait to get this kid the next year. They watched game film of Barr and were impress with Kendrichs. So he will be exciting to see this year along with his development.

Waynes came out and said some good things after the first game.... He was quoted as saying that he screwed up. He was reverting to his college ways and techniques. He said he has to keep reminding himself that the stuff in college won't work in the pros. So that is awesome he recognized his mistakes and will improve. Something you like to hear as a fan.

Again the 1st offense looked good and moved the ball. Defense keeps looking impressive. I can't wait to see the next two games with the 1st teams get more reps. It is an optomistc year this year. We have a QB, RB, OL, and DEF that is going to be in the Top 10 this year..... Just hope the Sophmore blues doesn't hit the coaching staff..... Yes I am a Viking fan and am used to disappointment.....LOL

· Registered
724 Posts
^
^
^
Agree with everything you mentioned, we just have to stay away from a major injury to a key player, Loadholt is a good player but not a great player in my estimation, so he should be replaceable......but if we start moving players around on the O-line that is not a good deal, hopefully this kid steps up..........and that Kendricks kid is actually looking great so far,he could be a good one........

Best time of the year, State Amateur Baseball starting, football right around the corner and then the hunting seasons start, Great time of the year..............

· Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well that was just an ugly game to watch last night....by both teams.....but mainly the Vikings.

A few takes I noticed....

1. No pass rush at all. Now this could have been some game planning to try and contain Kaprinick....but we didn't have a pass rush and robinson is over rated and I have said that for years.

2. Why didn't AP get the ball more?? Now this could have been the plan with Turner all along because SF has been known to be a good run defense. But again... give the man the ball. When he does good is when he has 20+ carries and wears a defense down.

3. WHAT HAPPENED TO TEDDY?? He was missing guys by miles. Now in the first quarter or better he looked like a shell shocked rookie with how bad he was missing guys.

4. How did shreels get caught on that blocked kick??? I mean if he doesn't have that break away speed.... maybe he shouldn't be our punt returner. I mean two guys looked like they were going to catch him. Now don't get me wrong I like him and he is a good special teams player....but maybe we need a different punt returner with break away speed....Stephon Diggs!!!

5. Our linebackers couldn't contain Hyde.... I knew going in this was going to be a week spot but lets get some of the younger guys in.... Hendricks, Cole, etc. Let them see what they can do. Get a rotation in to keep the older legs fresh.

Now SF when they were going looked like the better team..... but it was an ugly game all around.

Other thoughts???

· Registered
724 Posts
I fell asleep and woke up right when we blocked the FG try and seen Sherrels get caught from behind and I'm like , man that guy must be really fast to run him down or Sherrels is really slow, and watched 3 offensive plays and then watched our kicker (prolly not for long) miss and turned off the TV and fell asleep......got up this morning early for work and found out I didn't miss much last nite,games starting after 9 are just stupid.....

........and about 5 minutes of Chris Berman and Trent Dilfur was all I could stand, they're terrible announcers, love Chris Berman on ESPN Sports, but a live sports announcer he is not.....next week's game is a huge game already....Go Vikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so I really have no insight of the game as I only watched a few minutes of it......but agree lets get them young guys in there on D.....

· Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the game on sunday was better than the game on week one.

AP looked good and ran hard but I hate to say it.... He has lost a step or two. Not saying he isn't still a great running back but it seemed he isn't exploding through the holes like AP of old. Again he is over 30 :beer:

The Linebackers looked better this week against Detroit. We did see more of Hendricks in there which is a good thing.

The D-line had an ok game. They still didn't get the pressure that is needed. Stafford is a good QB but you give that time to Rivers this week or Rodgers.... the outcome will be different. Brian Robinson has looked horrible in the pass rush game. The announcers gave his such credit for some of the plays on sunday.... but those plays were the result of Jospeh and Floyd getting great penetration up the middle and left Robinson alone so he could make those plays. But he and Griffin need to step it up this week against the Chargers. As a whole their WR core is better than Detroit. So it should be interesting.

Now one very bright spot so far this year is Matt Kahil. He is a road grater on the run and hasn't looked horrible in the pass. Lets hope this continues.

On a side not..... Ragnar's Job is open..... If people don't know. He is the guy who gets paid to let his beard and hair go and rides a Harley at the home games. His contract was up and he demanded $20,000 per game. The Vikings said.... good bye.

· Registered
724 Posts
Much better game, San Diego will be a pretty tuff test, every road game will be.........Go Vikes !!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
724 Posts
snowkiller said:
its at vikings
Here I thought it was out there.......should help being home, but Rivers is a good QB....

· Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was a good game by the Vikings.

Lets hope that Rhodes isn't out for very long. If people didn't see the game but he got knocked out by his own teammate. The safety (sendejo) was late in giving him help and came in to deliver a hit and Rhodes got drilled. It wasn't a cheap shot or anything like that. Just one of those things that happens. Rhodes head hit other players chest and got snapped back. But he was out when he hit the ground.

Anyways.... I would say let him sit until after the bye week even if he is cleared to play this week. But they are going against the broncos and Manning. Waynes played ok.... but it isn't the same as going against manning and the broncos!!

· Registered
724 Posts
I agree with everything you mentioned.......they looked good yesterday....and that hit to Rhodes was brutal, I was worried it was more than a concussion the way his head got snapped back, San Diego O-line was beat so so bad and our defense took advantage of that, and I'm afraid that Manning will pick Waynes apart also but Manning doesn't look as good as the past, should be a good game but winning on the road is tuff....Go Vikes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What scares me is Vonn Miller and Damarcus Ware using a speed rush against our rookie right tackle!!!

But yes SD offensive line was beat up and got beat up during the game.

It will be a fun one to watch. Hopefully turner has something up his sleeve to help out our O-line maybe by moving the pocket for teddy on passing situations. Or we just run all over them with AP. :bop:

Not to forget out Fans to the East..... Should be a good game tonight with Pack against the Chiefs. :thumb: But there are two teams I cheer for each sunday.... The Vikings and who ever is playing the Pack.... HAHA :poke: :poke:

· Registered
724 Posts
Chuck Smith said:
What scares me is Vonn Miller and Damarcus Ware using a speed rush against our rookie right tackle!!!

Not to forget out Fans to the East..... Should be a good game tonight with Pack against the Chiefs. :thumb: But there are two teams I cheer for each sunday.... The Vikings and who ever is playing the Pack.... HAHA :poke: :poke:
going to have to have alot of quick hitters to the receivers and run the heck out of AP, I'm actually not real worried about holding Denver to a low score, they just havn't been putting up the numbers they have in the past. Go Vikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
724 Posts
Tough loss yesterday, could of won that game if our QB had alittle more time to throw, and our Golden Toe kicker wouldn't of missed an early field goal, and I really think this will be Mannings last year.....

· Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agree.... yesterday IMHO was an ugly game by the Vikings.

Now I am not going to blast the OL....because Denver's rush is the best in the league. It wasn't so much of one guy getting beat it was the different blitz packages they threw at them. I mean the rookie at RT got beat a couple of times. But he was going against an All Pro... two of them (ware and Miller). Kahil got beat once... again by an all pro. So That should happen from time to time.

The Vikings d-line still isn't getting that good pressure that they need to be a play off contending team. The secondary at times looked horrible yesterday. Now again you are going against one of the best QB's of all time. But yet you are pro's as well.

Now with the kicker missing the field goal... that is big as well. Puts different pressure on manning and what not for the last couple of drives.

But I am going to give credit where credit is due.... Broncos corralled AP (other than 1 run) and said you need to beat us Teddy....but we will be coming after you. I mean the Vikings had 3rd and longs all day. It was a great game plan and executed. :bop:

· Registered
724 Posts
Tough place to win on the road, I wish Teddy would of looked to his right on the last fumble play, they blitzed and left Azzati (spelling) all alone out of the back field, if he could of hit him in stride who knows where he would of ended up, yes our patched up oline was going to have trouble against these guys, but I believe were getting better with each game...Go Vikes !!!!!

After tonites game theres a good chance the Lions will be 0-4...Ouch ....tough to come back from that....

· Registered
724 Posts
4-2, decent start to the season.....hard to believe the Lions have regressed so much....they Suck....

· Registered
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
5-2 is a great start and Walsh in the Clutch... :beer:

I didn't get a chance to watch too much of that game yesterday was busy with a family function.

Now I did get to see the Packers game.....and it is hard to compare teams and game plans.... but the Vikings looked a lot better against Denver.... I am just saying.... I am also saying that I might end up eating those words after the Vikings play the packers. :beer:

· Super Moderator
8,784 Posts
Chuck Smith said:
5-2 is a great start and Walsh in the Clutch... :beer:

I didn't get a chance to watch too much of that game yesterday was busy with a family function.

Now I did get to see the Packers game.....and it is hard to compare teams and game plans.... but the Vikings looked a lot better against Denver.... I am just saying.... I am also saying that I might end up eating those words after the Vikings play the packers. :beer:
I just can't figure out the Packers. I thought it was going to be a good game for both sides to watch. Its ended up being a good ol fashioned beat down. Either the Packers really are that bad, or the Broncos offense is starting to click, which I hope. But anyways, I think the Vikings actually have a chance to win the division, or at least a wild card with how poor the entire NFC is.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.